The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Dead Clutch Master Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMboostin15

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
I've done some researching on this and I think I've found the culprit. Lately my clutch has been really soft, engaging right off of the floor, and getting harder to shift into gears - as if the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. I bled the system and it's still doing this, so I crawled under the dash to try and adjust it, and I noticed that there was a grease substance on the master cylinder rod and where the rod enters the housing. It looked similar to ball joint grease, (viscosity and color). I take it that the master cylinder is on it's way out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cant adjust the rod to solve the problem? If its on its way out, it would more than likely be leaking clutch fluid down your firewall.

The rod looks as though it has already been adjusted all the way out. There are only 2 or 3 threads left showing and the pedal freeplay is about 2.5" where the manual says it should be about .5".

Well I adjusted the rod and it was shifting really nicely. All gears were easy to get into, then I found out what the problem was. The slave cylinder went totally out and I had to have the car flatbedded home. And the ironic part is that earlier today I ordered my new clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back