The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

deaccel, sounds like sequential trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necrotopsy

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 5, 2010
SW, Michigan
Occasionally when i'm slowing down, with the clutch in but still in gear, the last 10 or so mph (from 10-0) the trans sounds like a sequential transmission. What i mean by this is that it sort of hums as the speed drops. It's extremely difficult to explain. err... sort of like a "Wu-woooooooooooooo" sounds (the woooooo getting slower and quieter as the mph drop).

Anyone know WTF this is?
clutch is fine, trans shifts just fine, and the noise randomly, but not that often.
curious if i should be worried or not.

(for the most part i deaccel in neutral, but a couple times when i haven't, i've heard this noise.)

going to bump this since i didn't get an responses yet.

it's very hard to diagnose because i can't find a consistent cause for it (like, it only does it if i deaccel in 2nd gear). It does it randomly, with large amounts of time in between when it does do it.

It wouldn't shock me if it was either the input shaft or output shaft inner roller bearings. Both are common to have issues with over time due to their design. The input shaft bearing is a press-in unit to the bellhousing with a snapring retainer, and the output shaft bearing is a press-on race onto the shaft, a press-in race in the bellhousing, and a floating roller bearing that has an assymetric plastic cage.

Maybe it could be a TOB, or a needle bearing, or the input shaft endshaft thrust bearing, but these are less common.

You would be best off getting the transmission torn down, inspected, and refreshed with a simple synchro/bearing/seal kit (BK414WS) and a few other OEM parts.

(Dodge Part Numbers Listed Below)
*New Output Shaft Inner Cage Bearing - 4761093
*New 3rd Gear Needle Bearing - 4762612
*New 4th Gear Needle Bearing - 4762612
*New Shift Selector Snap Clip - 4761158
*New Shift Selector Pin - 6503827
*New Clutch Fork - 4796665
*New Throwout Bearing - 4670026AB
*New Input Shaft Seal - 4797334

That's around $625 in parts for reference including synchros, end shaft bearings, non-reusables, etc.

If you simply needed the input shaft and output shaft inner bearing assemblies, it is around $125 or so.

just to update so i don't make a new thread... not that anyone cares about an avenger on this site. anyway this issue ended up being a pretty big deal when i left it alone >_>

it went like this as it got progressively worse:

The sound in OP -about 4 months, then:
3rd gear pop out -about a month then:
4th gear grind + 5th pop out -a week then:
hard to get into any gear, grinding sound from transmission at idle (went away with clutch pressed) -2 days then:
lost all gears but 5th -about 30 minutes then:
lost neutral and stuck in 5th

the car is worth less than its worth to replace the transmission. it's currently stripped an awaiting the junk yard.

This is my good bye.

Should have bought an eclipse :) Avenger's are test dummies!

I bought one of my Eclipse's for 800$, 3 years later, still trucking along, well worth 800$

You're gonna junk the car even if it only needs a TOB? :confused:
Do us a favor and take the trans off and have a peek before you scrap it. It may not be as bad as you might think.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back