The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

DDM HID Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I was looking on the DDM website and was wondering,

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

I was going to go with:

Wattage: 55w
Bulb Type: 9006/HB4
Bulb Color: 6000k

Now It says;
HID Harness - Do i need this?
Error Eliminator - Do i need this?
Adaptor Cables - Do i need this?
Mounting Brackets - Do i need this?

i would like to just spend the 45$ total on these, i don't really feel like i need to buy the HID harness, Error Eliminator, Adaptor Cables, and Mounting Brackets.. Do i ?

I was looking on the DDM website and was wondering,

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

I was going to go with:

Wattage: 55w
Bulb Type: 9006/HB4
Bulb Color: 6000k

Now It says;
HID Harness - Do i need this?
Error Eliminator - Do i need this?
Adaptor Cables - Do i need this?
Mounting Brackets - Do i need this?

i would like to just spend the 45$ total on these, i don't really feel like i need to buy the HID harness, Error Eliminator, Adaptor Cables, and Mounting Brackets.. Do i ?
Honestly you don't need these if you aren't going to properly run them with a projector housings. Go get some silverstars those are the best upgrade for stock housing.

People spending $50 on HID bulbs to go into housings designed for incandescent bulbs is why people hate HIDs.

GET OVERRRRRR ITTTTTTTTTT LOL.

This is why i hate this site sometimes, a lot of helpful information, but not one person asked for your opinion of why you think HIDS are bad in housings that aren't projectors.

I'd recommend going the 35w version, & also re-aligning your headlights to be abit lower then normal.

If the HID harness is a power harness, not sure if its necessary but I run one. Our stock wiring isn't great & they aren't expensive, so I figured might as well. The rest of the items are not needed.

I'd recommend going the 35w version, & also re-aligning your headlights to be abit lower then normal.

If the HID harness is a power harness, not sure if its necessary but I run one. Our stock wiring isn't great & they aren't expensive, so I figured might as well. The rest of the items are not needed.

you think i should just go with the 35w because its not as bright? and thank you ill look into the harness more =)

at least your information actually helps, Unlike some people in here.

Stock housings are designed for incandescent bulbs, not HIDs. It has nothing to do with being a projector. Your lights will blind people who are oncoming traffic and will blind yourself when it rains or snows.

^ Nailed it. I hate people who have HID's in reflective housings because as stated above, they blind the shit out of you. Atleast get a set of ebay projector lights, or retrofit the stockers.

That is just my opinion, however I have the 55w 5000k lights in an ebay projector, the cutoff is perfect, and light output is crisp. Nice setup IMO.

People just think information that doesn't coddle their emotions is information that's not helpful. I spew facts, not what people want to hear.

Stock housings are designed for incandescent bulbs, not HIDs. It has nothing to do with being a projector. Your lights will blind people who are oncoming traffic and will blind yourself when it rains or snows.

I agree 100%. I put a HID kit in my 98 Ram, but only because I retrofitted projectors, otherwise it would be a safety concern for myself, my family, and other motorists on the road. If you're going to do HID's do them the right way, please. Nobody likes all the scatter HID bulbs produce in a non-HID housing.

I'm running a 35w 5k DDM kit in my lows and a 3k 35w DDM kit in my fogs. IMHO the purchase was not worth it, the beam is all messed up and has hotspots. Also, the 5k kit was much bluer than expected and the 3k kit was much whiter than expected. The kit was of much less quality than the DDM kit I got ~2 years ago for my buick and performed much worse.

The DDM beams are pretty much useless at dawn or dusk and I have a problem with one of the ballasts not wanting to fire on the first or second try with or without the relay kit. After dark they emit plenty of light but the beams have to be aimed so low to not blind other drivers that all the useable light is focused too close to the car.

The round headlamps of my LaCrosse worked great with reflected HIDs but the oblong squarish lamps of a DSM dont really focus the light the same way.

tl;dr: HID kits don't work well in our cars.

If your going for a color match, Sylvania just launched the zXe series of bulbs wich look promising but are rather expensive at $60 for a pair. If you really want HIDs save the money and splurge in a theretrofitsource.com projector retro and install them according to the guide you can find on here, more pricy but well worth it in the end and all it takes is some reading and a willingness to learn.

To add to this. . .

Ive had the DDM kit in my talon for over 3 years now. Purchased them from SharpHID (supporting vendor on here). My car is daily driven, they fire first try, bulbs still good. With a life time warranty, you can't go wrong. . .

Also, HIDs make you stand out from traffic A LOT so if your going for sleeper/undercover they are not the way to go, I'm reverting to stock for this reason alone.

AND, the HID fogs emit enough heat to crack the glass lens of the projector if water hits them so keep that in mind as well.

you think i should just go with the 35w because its not as bright? and thank you ill look into the harness more =)

Yes, as people have mentioned putting HID's in a headlight that was origionally designed for a halogen isn't the best idea. The 35w will still be much brighter then the stock bulbs & with a tweek to your alignment, won't be hard on other drivers eyes.

Do I agree with all the other poster that a proper HID retro is the way to go, yes. But with that being said, I don't know about the other gen lights but the 2gb lights aren't bad for blinding other drivers when adjusted slightly lower then normal. I've had mine for 6 years or so & have not once been high beam flashed. Compared to alot of new OEM halogen lights my headlights are not as blinding. Sure the light distribution is no wears close to HID's (or even alot of the new halogens) but they defently aren't blinding.

There are however many other vehicles that OEM halogen setups should not be used with HID's as their cutoff is extremely bad & blinding.

Mine are SharpHID Slim's 5.5K.

I've had the DDM HID's for about 4years now and haven't had any problems. There straight plug and play; all you have to do is run the power to the battery. I went with the 35w ones and haven't had one problem in the 4years I've had them. They make a night and day difference over the stock bulbs and give it a great look and great visibility. I recommend them to everyone and they come with a lift-time warranty and at a great price. Go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, To everyone that says don't but them unless i do the projector conversion, I'm sorry but I'm not going to use my money on that, i have ALOT of friends without projectors and they're lights are fine and not to broken up.

I am going with the DDM kit, because a lot of my buddys are using it, the only reason i made this thread was to figure out if i needed the other optional things to buy!

I'm going with 55w 6000k. =)

Thanks all!

Thanks everyone, To everyone that says don't but them unless i do the projector conversion, I'm sorry but I'm not going to use my money on that, i have ALOT of friends without projectors and they're lights are fine and not to broken up.

I am going with the DDM kit, because a lot of my buddys are using it, the only reason i made this thread was to figure out if i needed the other optional things to buy!

I'm going with 55w 6000k. =)

Thanks all!

At least you're on the east cost, not near me. :nono:

They aren't talking about the quality of the beam, or the ability to see. It won't affect you, obviously. They're talking about literally blinding other drivers on the road with lights that are too bright. Projector lenses allow you to sharply focus the extra light to a very fine edge. If you ride in a new car that comes stock with HID Projector lamps, then you'll see the light is very bright up to a point, then it's very dark very suddenly. This cutoff is what we're talking about.

Headlights don't just shine outward as brightly as they can (Hi-beams excepted). Go turn your lights on, then move your head up in down in front of your car. You'll notice that while you're standing, the beams aren't all the bright, and you can look pretty much directly at them without hurting or straining your eyes. Then duck down and get your eyes as close to the road as possible. You'll see they're much brighter. The reason for this is that the reflector in the housing is aiming the light downward, so that it illuminates the road, but does not shine up into other drivers' eyes.

However, reflectors aren't perfect, and they do scatter, or blur, the top edge of this cutoff somewhat. with normal halogen lamps, this isn't a problem, because the lights aren't bright enough within this fuzzy area to cause dazzling. However, HIDs are significantly brighter, and the extra light spilling over the reflector will hurt other drivers' eyes. It's extremely dangerous to the other drivers to do this.

Projector headlight housings use an ellipsoidal lens that focuses the light and a shutter that cuts off the beam at a very precise edge. All you need to do is adjust this shutter up or down until the cutoff is low enough, and you won't blind anybody because minimal light is making it htat far up. However, the area beneath the cutoff is much brighter than a halogen lamp.

Trust us, it's extremely dangerous to run HIDs without projectors. You will cause the other person to be unable to see, and that can cause deadly accidents. You might trigger a seizure too. Please, get the projector housings. (They look better than the reflectors anyway!)

It's amazing the reactions you get from children who think they know everything, and how they revolt and misspell when a person who actually has knowledge lets someone know that what they are doing is complete unsafe bullshit. There is a reason why lights go through tons of R&D and DOT testing. You're going to blind other drivers, and yes, your own visibility will suffer when it rains, snows, or is foggy. You're going to love those HIDs in a housing not meant for them until you meet some bad weather. You also chose an insane wattage and a color temperature that is far from ideal. But don't listen to the countless people on here advising against it. No, that would be too easy and adult-like. Just get some Silverstars if you want good light on the cheap. Until then, save up for REAL OEM HID projectors.

It's amazing the reactions you get from children who think they know everything, and how they revolt and misspell when a person who actually has knowledge lets someone know that what they are doing is complete unsafe bullshit. There is a reason why lights go through tons of R&D and DOT testing. You're going to blind other drivers, and yes, your own visibility will suffer when it rains, snows, or is foggy. You're going to love those HIDs in a housing not meant for them until you meet some bad weather. You also chose an insane wattage and a color temperature that is far from ideal. But don't listen to the countless people on here advising against it. No, that would be too easy and adult-like. Just get some Silverstars if you want good light on the cheap. Until then, save up for REAL OEM HID projectors.

Okay i'm going to say this once, and once only.

I am not at any means a child, or any means a kid that hasn't been around DSMS. I been in the game for 7 years now. I'm now 21 years old, working and going to University for a degree in business accounting and finance. I am not stupid. I UNDERSTAND the concept that this might not be the "RIGHT" way. But as i was saying in the ORIGINAL POST, ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WAS THIS {DO I NEED ANY OF THE FOLLOWING THINGS AT THE BOTTEM, THE LAST 4 ITEMS}

I never once asked you, if i needed projector headlight housings, did I?
-The answer is NO.

I never once asked you, Will this harm my car, did I?
-The answer is NO.

I never once asked you, if my visibility will be effected in rain, snow, fog, ETC, did I?
-The answer is NO; ALSO, i don't drive my dsm in the snow, fog, rain, sleet, hail, piss storm, or even cloudy skys, the car seen 10k miles in past 3 years of owning it. And to be honest, it doesn't matter if it rains now does it? No,.. Because i do not drive the car in those conditions.

Also i will be leveling the lights downward a little like previously noted, not one person is asking you to post, honestly, i rather you don't. Because i am the original poster. And i am saying the thread is dead.

Wanna know why? Because i ordered my HIDS, 6000k, and 55w. Now tell me not to do it? Because i already did it, and i am going to be running them. Ha. get over it, you won't even see me driving.

And to the rest of you; thank you again! i choose the right things because of you guys =) as always i love you all and your help! Keep the dsms alive! =)

At least you're on the east cost, not near me. :nono:

They aren't talking about the quality of the beam, or the ability to see. It won't affect you, obviously. They're talking about literally blinding other drivers on the road with lights that are too bright. Projector lenses allow you to sharply focus the extra light to a very fine edge. If you ride in a new car that comes stock with HID Projector lamps, then you'll see the light is very bright up to a point, then it's very dark very suddenly. This cutoff is what we're talking about.

Headlights don't just shine outward as brightly as they can (Hi-beams excepted). Go turn your lights on, then move your head up in down in front of your car. You'll notice that while you're standing, the beams aren't all the bright, and you can look pretty much directly at them without hurting or straining your eyes. Then duck down and get your eyes as close to the road as possible. You'll see they're much brighter. The reason for this is that the reflector in the housing is aiming the light downward, so that it illuminates the road, but does not shine up into other drivers' eyes.

However, reflectors aren't perfect, and they do scatter, or blur, the top edge of this cutoff somewhat. with normal halogen lamps, this isn't a problem, because the lights aren't bright enough within this fuzzy area to cause dazzling. However, HIDs are significantly brighter, and the extra light spilling over the reflector will hurt other drivers' eyes. It's extremely dangerous to the other drivers to do this.

Projector headlight housings use an ellipsoidal lens that focuses the light and a shutter that cuts off the beam at a very precise edge. All you need to do is adjust this shutter up or down until the cutoff is low enough, and you won't blind anybody because minimal light is making it htat far up. However, the area beneath the cutoff is much brighter than a halogen lamp.

Trust us, it's extremely dangerous to run HIDs without projectors. You will cause the other person to be unable to see, and that can cause deadly accidents. You might trigger a seizure too. Please, get the projector housings. (They look better than the reflectors anyway!)

Don't think I'm ignoring your warning, i will be picking up housings, i barely drive the car as it is man. And i will be angling the headlights down, and ill make sure it won't be in anyones eyes until i do so! And yeah, i understand other drivers on road, but if you know Pittsburgh, literally EVERYONE has them. I can't stress enough the amount of people who have them without housings that support them. So i don't want everyone thinking I'm such a terrible person. Because i'm not. But thank you for all the helpful information again =)

I don't care if you didn't ask those questions. You were told what this will do, and aiming the lights down won't do jack shit. Good luck.

Buy the kit if its what you want. My headlights were aimed lower, and ive never had anyone so much as flash their lights at me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back