The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Dash Speakers: Cheap and Easy replacement solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techboy

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2018
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
My dash speakers have been blown for probably the last 10 years. Once they were blown I just unplugged them and left them sit in the dash. Never bothered to do anything about it b/c I'm not really a "sound system" guy. But, this summer I decided to do something about it on the cheap. Here goes:

First, and most obvious I removed the speaker. All you need is a small flat-head, just pry lightly and they pop out. The grill cover has tabs you can bend, and it will pop off. You'll be left with this. You can clearly see mine where not only blown but also starting to deteriorate in the sun.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I took a pair of nippers and cut out the plastic "cross".

Flip the speakers over and you'll see some "plastic welds". Just take a flat head screwdriver and break them off.

Once you break them off, and separate them from the speaker, it'll look something like this.

I bought some cheap Apline DDT-S30's for $25 bucks ... they're probably fakes, but whatever. The speakers themselves snap into a plastic shroud that luckily fits into the DSM modified plastic ring pretty well.

I've never used hot-glue on a car project before, but for this project I just flipped these over and added some hot glue to bond the two plastic shrouds together.

Next, I soldered up the speakers. There was a TON of wire length that came with these Alpine's, so since these are in the dash I shortened everything up. I soldered the frequency blockers back together, shrink tubed it, and then wrapped it in electrical tape as an added bonus. I also clipped the OEM connector off the old speaks and added it to the end so it was easy plug and play.

Then just I just snapped the speaker back into the housing they came in.

Plug them in, pop them back in the dash, and all done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back