The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

DARKER THAN BLACK

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The overwhelming mantra with DSM is maintenance first mods second. Given your latest balljoint issues I would suggest going over the car thoroughly. You've already stated you have some rust, now a failed balljoint. These cars will bite you hard if you don't do the maintenance. belts, all hoses (8 total if I recall), fluids and check all wear items, suspension, ujoints, wheel bearings brakes. On a car this old it would be a good idea to get a thorough inspection. If somebody told you balljoints were good and you experienced what you did don't go back to that mechanic anymore.

The overwhelming mantra with DSM is maintenance first mods second. Given your latest balljoint issues I would suggest going over the car thoroughly. You've already stated you have some rust, now a failed balljoint. These cars will bite you hard if you don't do the maintenance. belts, all hoses (8 total if I recall), fluids and check all wear items, suspension, ujoints, wheel bearings brakes. On a car this old it would be a good idea to get a thorough inspection. If somebody told you balljoints were good and you experienced what you did don't go back to that mechanic anymore.
I have owned the car for 10 years now doing my maintenance. I had all the belts done with water pump at 60K, hoses being checked now, fluids being done now, coolant was done, already did my lower control arms once, brakes checked still some life. The car was inspected when I bought it and all maintenace was done at 25,000 miles, it now has 79,000 miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. An older lady that was a realtor and garage kept the car, only driving it on summer days not even in the rain.

Last edited:
So as far as I can tell this car has 2 lower ball joints on each side, it seems 1 on the passenger side can go up and down but not side to side. Mechanic was Midas.

Last edited:
So as far as I can tell this car has 2 lower ball joints on each side, it seems 1 on the passenger side can go up and down but not side to side. Mechanic was Midas.
At that low mileage it's conceivable you have an original ballpoint. Not sure if it fell under recall. Even so that would have long expired likely. Might be worth a look but I believe they expire at 10 years

At that low mileage it's conceivable you have an original ballpoint. Not sure if it fell under recall. Even so that would have long expired likely. Might be worth a look but I believe they expire at 10 years
Yeah, I tried that but Mitsubishi said my car was one that wasn't affected and denied the service, I am running MOOG lower arms, I think one on each side was replaced, so maybe the others are original. 🤔

Is there 2 lower front control arms?

Yeah, I tried that but Mitsubishi said my car was one that wasn't affected and denied the service, I am running MOOG lower arms, I think one on each side was replaced, so maybe the others are original. 🤔

Is there 2 lower front control arms?
Yes there are 2 arms. Find out if the ball joint recall kit is still available. If it is its the cheapest way to get new oem parts. It's also comes with new spindles although they're not needed. Is you had a 2ga the recall requires new spindles also.

I always dug the veilside kit. Especially the wing. Im suprised that the kit is still available.

I always dug the veilside kit. Especially the wing. Im suprised that the kit is still available.
I was too, I called them up and asked if it was discontinued and they told me it's just special order, they have to make them, so a 90 day wait from Japan. He said price going up again in July. :(

I was too, I called them up and asked if it was discontinued and they told me it's just special order, they have to make them, so a 90 day wait from Japan. He said price going up again in July. :(
Awesome. Keep us posted. Id love to see it.

We made it guys! Finally the recognition this car deserves! I feel like my car is a good investment now. :D

1999 Eclipse GSX sells for $40K!

1995 Eclipse GSX sells for $34K!

Update: Winter Rims/Tires installed, still need to finish the center caps.

Michelin CrossClimate 2 @215/50/R17 RoadReady RRW-3796 17x7.5 +44

20220903_160232.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a mint, fully restored 1998 Eclipse GSX w/5-speed, check this one out! Likely going to be listed on Bring A Trialer soon. It will cost a lot, but if someone wants one this is the one to get! Wow! 😍

Update: Body kit shipped from Japan on the 15th, should have it early October... 🙃

Last edited:
Update: Body kit arrived in Cali at the port, it is delayed and backed up over there tho, so 1,2,3 more weeks till I have it. 🙄

I should have bought my hood and hatch from Carbonetics, I would probably have them at the same time, LOL.

Last edited:
Update: Body kit being delivered on Monday, Dec. 5th! Yay! ✊🤩

Last edited:
Update: I recieved the VeilSide body kit! No damage that I can see. 🥹👌

20221206_145742.jpg
20221206_145601.jpg

Side skirts are one-piece, which is nice, each part gets a stainless steel emblem insert and they are stamped VeilSide on the inside.

Last edited:
My advice to anyone getting a bodykit

Do not mould them to the body of the vehicle. Pieces and panels will chip and crack, they do not look good forever

If you are going with a custom paint color, pay the extra and have your stock pieces color matched. Having spare front or rear bumpers will come in clutch when you do get a crack or scrape in the body kit

Be diligent about using factory style fasteners. Dont use self tapping screws to hold body pieces to the car

Fiberglass isn't bad, but it isnt durable. Again I dont suggest custom paint colors for this reason

DSCF1021.jpg
DSCF1027.jpg
DSCF1029.jpg
DSCF1033.jpg
DSCF1037.jpg

My advice to anyone getting a bodykit

Do not mould them to the body of the vehicle. Pieces and panels will chip and crack, they do not look good forever

If you are going with a custom paint color, pay the extra and have your stock pieces color matched. Having spare front or rear bumpers will come in clutch when you do get a crack or scrape in the body kit

Be diligent about using factory style fasteners. Dont use self tapping screws to hold body pieces to the car

Fiberglass isn't bad, but it isnt durable. Again I dont suggest custom paint colors for this reason

View attachment 682142View attachment 682143View attachment 682144View attachment 682145View attachment 682146
Thanks for the advice. The kit is 100% OEM bolt-on, I will be using replacement stainless steel bolts and a weatherproof 3M tape for the sideskirts like the stock ones. If anyone knows what size and length bolts I need or if someone sells a kit that would be great...

Last edited:
Already snowing over here, so I will wait to put the kit on in the spring. I decided to look into getting a second car for winter... my insurance and cost of ownership is low enough now I think I can do it.

The kit is fiberglass too and I don't want to deal with rust anymore, so I will garage it and use it on nice days. This will be the last winter we go through! 🖕🥶

I will take some pics of the kit for you guys, so you can see more of it, it is thicc and high quality, worth what I paid for it, the new price is getting a bit ridiculous tho. Lol. 😄

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back