The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

DARKER THAN BLACK

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
The overwhelming mantra with DSM is maintenance first mods second. Given your latest balljoint issues I would suggest going over the car thoroughly. You've already stated you have some rust, now a failed balljoint. These cars will bite you hard if you don't do the maintenance. belts, all hoses (8 total if I recall), fluids and check all wear items, suspension, ujoints, wheel bearings brakes. On a car this old it would be a good idea to get a thorough inspection. If somebody told you balljoints were good and you experienced what you did don't go back to that mechanic anymore.

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
The overwhelming mantra with DSM is maintenance first mods second. Given your latest balljoint issues I would suggest going over the car thoroughly. You've already stated you have some rust, now a failed balljoint. These cars will bite you hard if you don't do the maintenance. belts, all hoses (8 total if I recall), fluids and check all wear items, suspension, ujoints, wheel bearings brakes. On a car this old it would be a good idea to get a thorough inspection. If somebody told you balljoints were good and you experienced what you did don't go back to that mechanic anymore.
I have owned the car for 10 years now doing my maintenance. I had all the belts done with water pump at 60K, hoses being checked now, fluids being done now, coolant was done, already did my lower control arms once, brakes checked still some life. The car was inspected when I bought it and all maintenace was done at 25,000 miles, it now has 79,000 miles on it. I bought it from the original owner. An older lady that was a realtor and garage kept the car, only driving it on summer days not even in the rain.

Last edited:

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
So as far as I can tell this car has 2 lower ball joints on each side, it seems 1 on the passenger side can go up and down but not side to side. Mechanic was Midas.

Last edited:

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
So as far as I can tell this car has 2 lower ball joints on each side, it seems 1 on the passenger side can go up and down but not side to side. Mechanic was Midas.
At that low mileage it's conceivable you have an original ballpoint. Not sure if it fell under recall. Even so that would have long expired likely. Might be worth a look but I believe they expire at 10 years

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
At that low mileage it's conceivable you have an original ballpoint. Not sure if it fell under recall. Even so that would have long expired likely. Might be worth a look but I believe they expire at 10 years
Yeah, I tried that but Mitsubishi said my car was one that wasn't affected and denied the service, I am running MOOG lower arms, I think one on each side was replaced, so maybe the others are original. 🤔

Is there 2 lower front control arms?

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Yeah, I tried that but Mitsubishi said my car was one that wasn't affected and denied the service, I am running MOOG lower arms, I think one on each side was replaced, so maybe the others are original. 🤔

Is there 2 lower front control arms?
Yes there are 2 arms. Find out if the ball joint recall kit is still available. If it is its the cheapest way to get new oem parts. It's also comes with new spindles although they're not needed. Is you had a 2ga the recall requires new spindles also.

vanilla gorilla

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2007
Orrum, North_Carolina
I always dug the veilside kit. Especially the wing. Im suprised that the kit is still available.

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
I always dug the veilside kit. Especially the wing. Im suprised that the kit is still available.
I was too, I called them up and asked if it was discontinued and they told me it's just special order, they have to make them, so a 90 day wait from Japan. He said price going up again in July. :(

vanilla gorilla

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2007
Orrum, North_Carolina
I was too, I called them up and asked if it was discontinued and they told me it's just special order, they have to make them, so a 90 day wait from Japan. He said price going up again in July. :(
Awesome. Keep us posted. Id love to see it.

THiCC ECLiPSE GSeX

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Burlington, Connecticut
We made it guys! Finally the recognition this car deserves! I feel like my car is a good investment now. :D

1999 Eclipse GSX sells for $40K!

1995 Eclipse GSX sells for $34K!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds