The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

damn.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstkl

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
SoCal, California
I know a lot of people are going to be pissed at me, but I know I can get it rolling again. At the least.

what about the lower radiator support beam though?

and if anyones wondering, Id suggest not running e100's that are bald in the front.

Attachments

• P1010127s.JPG
    P1010127s.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 567
  • P1010128s.JPG
    P1010128s.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 567
  • P1010129s.JPG
    P1010129s.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 562
  • P1010130s.JPG
    P1010130s.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 566
  • P1010131s.JPG
    P1010131s.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 562
  • P1010132s.JPG
    P1010132s.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 563
o, and the rim is not ok, but the bead didn't pop, so its not too bad. I broke the hub off the strut though. The camera didn't have enough juice to take more pics though....

It was all ok until that 3rd pic... ooouuuch!!

What happened?

And what do you want to know about the support beam? I'd try and bend it back into shape if I could. Cut and wels if needed. It's just the radiator support beam.

Yikes!!! Been there too. Bring it back to life. The core support is not that hard to fix. The part I would be worried about is above the left member where the stabalizer mount attaches, that tear looks nasty. I'm thinking this is definately repairable, have you learned from your mistake? Better luck next time. Looks like you've got some good used parts to pick up. :talon: :laser: :dsm:

OMG! WTF did you do!!!?? at least your ok though it could have been alot worse. And I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but it might be cheaper to buy another awd and swap all your shit over to it. From the amount of work that needs to be done.

On second thought... you might have to cut and weld.

Do me one favor though, get that thing up on jack stands if you go under it. I don't trust that wood too much!

I don't have jackstands, I've never raised the car when Im working on it. I just leave it on the ground and crawl under it. I'll change it to bricks though.

As for learning a lesson, I don't think I did. All today I've just wanted to drive faster... I think if I hadn't been giving it gas through that whole turn, it would have come out fine.

It probably would be cheaper to buy another awd, but, would it be good ol' tstkl? I was thinking, I could get the plates lfnut and rtnut for the two cars, but I'd rather just keep the one and only talon. Plus, painting the shell would jack the price up. The whole passenger side on this car is still perfect, the hood is fine, the drivers side door is almost unscratched, the roof, everything is perfect, except for the rear quarter panel, the fender, and the front bumper. For how far I slid along that hill, Im amazed.

Im also amazed I didn't get hurt, and the car survived the 5 foot drop as well as it did.

I'll be getting new tires, a racing seat with a 5 point harness, and coil overs once Im done with the repairs.

At least you're OK. Edwin freaked me the hell out with that phone call at 2:30AM. Dying after a wrench night is strictly prohibited. :p

What da hell happen!?! Gotta stop watching Tokyo drift!! but seriously what the hell happen? The car was clean too, there's tons of 1g part outs, I'm sure you can find parts you need maybe even same color. Sucks dude, keep us posted.

well, I took a turn too fast.

lets just say, from now on I'll be calling it "san pablo DAMN road".

but prices from the dealership equal to about 1k. So I'll have pretty good luck at a junkyard I think. I'm also being forced to buy stainless steel brake lines, LOL. if that curb hadn't been there, I think I would still have a drivers side front wheel. But I did take a big chunk out if the curb too, so I kinda got my last laugh in.

btw, it really isn't that bad, the intercooler is fine minus one dent to the outlet caused by the crash beam, which can be pushed out. The crash beam is fine, minus the lower part which is just bumper support. The bumper, from the drivers side headlight towards the passenger side is fine, and the fender is screwed. The radiator fan is dead, but I think I'll just use my ac fan instead. I might want to get a new radiator, just because, but there are no fluids whatsoever. The oil cooler lines are smashed, but they aren't leaking. The engine starts, I didn't check to see if it idles, because I didn't want to starve it of oil, but it fires up, which is all thats important to me.

really Im just looking at:
new fender
new lower a arm,
new control arm,
new half shaft,
new bumper,
repair/new evo8 rim,
new spoiler (just the part on the drivers side)
pull the HUGE dent out of the back, and deal with it not looking perfect.
reweld a new lower radiator support beam
new lower cross memeber (where the a arm mounts)

not too bad for how fast I was going....Im somewhat proud of how long I kept it on the road for, since it could have been a lot worse had I been a few feet farther back.

98eclipseRS said:
OMG! WTF did you do!!!?? at least your ok though it could have been alot worse. And I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but it might be cheaper to buy another awd and swap all your shit over to it. From the amount of work that needs to be done.
I assumed that I had to do that until I saw that the a arm connects to the lower crossmember and it was salvagable. I could never ditch my talon. It just wouldn't be the same.

Are you still going to make it to the shootout?... even though your ride might not pick you up from the airport because you can only give him 3 out of 4 wheels now? ROFL

I'm sorry, I had to say that because when I first read that, I was in pain becuase I was laughing so hard at that comment. It really sucks your car is down. The wheels are/were great. I'm glad your allright.

Like you said, the unibody is still intact. Your car can be repaired. I think the good parts outweigh the bad. (IMO) Swapping the parts into another car would be a waste of time. Just going to take a little time /new parts finding and investments in good used parts. Once you have all the parts, it shouldn't take too long to fix.

tstkl said:
I don't have jackstands, I've never raised the car when Im working on it. I just leave it on the ground and crawl under it. I'll change it to bricks though.

As for learning a lesson, I don't think I did. All today I've just wanted to drive faster... I think if I hadn't been giving it gas through that whole turn, it would have come out fine.

It probably would be cheaper to buy another awd, but, would it be good ol' tstkl? I was thinking, I could get the plates lfnut and rtnut for the two cars, but I'd rather just keep the one and only talon. Plus, painting the shell would jack the price up. The whole passenger side on this car is still perfect, the hood is fine, the drivers side door is almost unscratched, the roof, everything is perfect, except for the rear quarter panel, the fender, and the front bumper. For how far I slid along that hill, Im amazed.

Im also amazed I didn't get hurt, and the car survived the 5 foot drop as well as it did.

I'll be getting new tires, a racing seat with a 5 point harness, and coil overs once Im done with the repairs.
brian...this is where i gotta stop you. as for not learning a lesson...that isnt right. you survived a 110+ mph spinout on a 50mph turn. you are lucky for not being dead right now. the not giving it gas through the whole turn is not the problem, its driving over double the speed limit. thats just reckless bro. don't mean to call you out...but i think you need to reevaluate the situation.

no, I know it was horrible that I got in an accident, and I know Im lucky to be alive, and I know there are reasons they post the speed limits at those speeds, what Im saying is, most people, after something like that, wouldn't want to jump back into their cars and keep going just as fast. I keep getting that feeling ever since then. Its like, taking those turns that fast was so much fun, until the end. I just keep getting that feeling, the EXTREME BODY ROLL, the sound, the adrenaline....

and I don't even like roller coasters.... weird, aint it? Its like I've just become addicted to one of the deadliest things on earth. Thats why my first mods after the cars back in order are tires, five point, and all the safty stuff that will keep me alive/on the road.

But I will try my hardest to keep it off these mountain roads with all their cliffs and stuff. I want to road race so badly now though.

tstkl said:
I don't have jackstands, ** I'll change it to bricks though.
No. get your slag ass down to Harbor Freight and drop twenty on real jackstands. Bricks crumble.

I don't know how the hell you could get up a speed on SPDR without getting caught. It's the first place in California the CHP used radar, because Orinda paid for the units.
Be glad you weren't on Wildcat Canyon, where there aren't curbs, just 200 feet down.

Hot damn! That sucks! I think its all dave's fault, he said something in the infineon thread along the lines of "wow your car is coming together nice lately", and i was like ut ohhh everytime someone says that to me or i think that, bam something breaks or i bap my car.

Sorry to hear that all that happened though . So what exactly happened? i want to be able to paint a picture in my head of your accident... you took a 50 mph turn at 100+ and looped out and slid into a curb and off the side of the road? did you hit a tree or something?

Did you say you needed a radiator or fans? I have my stock radiator + fans just taking up space at my house, you can have them if you want. I have no need for em ever since i installed the fluidyne. Pm me and let me know exactly the parts you need b/c i have like 3 bins of parts i ripped of my parts gst that are just taking up space.

That sucks brian, but remember it happens to the best of us, everyone will bap sooner or later, its all a learning experiance. It helps you figure out what NOT to do next time, and what to watch out for.

Good luck with gettin your car back together, pm me if you need any parts or help.

110 on a 50mph corner?!?!

Wooooww. You my friend are nuckin' futs!!

Please for the love of us, don't do that again. NO ONE wants to read your obituary.

And not to sound like a mom or dad, but if you wanna go that fast, what about some track racing? I know it's not as easy to do as just going on your local roads, but... well I just worry about the guys on this site, that's all.

I was kinda in a rush, and what I was doing was really, really stupid. As for not getting caught by the cops, the first person to stop and ask if we were all right, said, "### if you need a cop, theres one just back there a little, he just tagged me for 63 in a 45."

had I made that turn, I probably wouldn't have made the next one, and had I made that turn, I would have been tagged at 120+ in a 45. Up until that night, I always knew what to do and what my next step was. I get an angry call from my parents, I always think of the perfect excuse. I think it was just the fact that I didn't know what I was going to do/say that caused me to screw up.

anyone know the differences between the lower cross members and suspension parts on the front of a 1g dsm? I know the fwd's have the front motor mount on the center cross member rather than the front cross member like the awds, but does the steering colum/shaft tunnel have any differences. Im talking about that HUGE tunnel that goes from lower a arm to lower a arm. I just need to disconnect the steering shaft from the control arms and I can get my old one out. (along with the motor mount, but thats easy, I've done that before). I might have to drop the t case and the downpipe, but again, easy stuff. That will also give me an excuse to check out my yoke, drain my t case, and put the new fluid I have sitting in the garage in.

as for the details, I overcorrected for the understeer, barely missed a sign, went off a curb into a gutter about 5 feet below the curb, slid for about 100 feet, and came to a stop. The wheel probably broke off instantaniously, since the HUB broke. 1.5 inches of steel, not good enough to keep that thing on. Still no sign of my axle, we drove by there again today on our way to the pick and pull. Which was great minus the fact that we forgot our castle nut socket. (the one for the nut that goes on the axle in front of the rotor.)

the bricks are brand new, but hopefully I'll get some jackstands soon. Until then, I'll add a few more piles of bricks, just to be safer....

the rack/pinion is almost completely off on my car (t-case/downpipe in the way, and one bolt holds it on) and I found all the replacement parts I need for 475 except the lower radiator support beam. All in all, I can get the car running again off those parts, and then everything else I need for the car is cosmetic stuff. The rear quarter panel will be expensive to fix, and the lower radiator support beam might be expensive to reweld, and there is one more dent I want to get popped out on the underside of the car, but other than that, everything is good. The bumper is actually in really good shape, I just took it off and threw it in the garage. I looked at it today because I noticed it was sitting like it was when I installed my intercooler, and realized its got one 6 inch cut, and thats about it.

all in all, for a triple digit crash, Im amazed.

I'm just thinking about the physics of your crash, and It seems like that curb and the hub falling off your car took a significant part of the impact force. Then, you slid up out of a ditch and along some dirt, and that dirt was pretty forgiving, nothing really hard hit the body of your car, it was mostly just the suspension took a raping for you. I have to give a :thumb: to the stock suspension for keeping you alive. Also, be really thankful that that was one of the few places on that road with a hill on that side of it.

We should be able to ressurect it. The wound's will soon become battle scars, and hey, DSMs don't have to be pretty to be fast.

BTW, Defiant, for a Central Valley guy you know our area pretty well. You drive around here a lot?

all in all, for a triple digit crash, Im amazed.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What happened here was a miracle, and I want you to ####ing acknowledge it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back