The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Damn P 170

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werx

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2007
Hendersonville, Tennessee
I'm trying to pass emissions but the car keeps throwing a P170 code: fuel trim Malfunction. I'm not sure which way to go to fix the problem. I'm running stock injectors but I've installed a walbro 255 fuel pump and have 6AN line running from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. I'm also running a Fuel Lab AFPR adjusted to 42.5. I have a 2G Eagle Talon AWD with 6bolt swap and JDM Cyclone intake.

i replaced the upstream o2 sensor and it thru the code even faster!

Im just gonna state it so its out there. But boost leaks cause this. Has this been a constant code?

If it's a boost leak it's not in the usual places (silicone couplers, intercooler, MAF etc..). I think it's coming from the throttle body but I'm not sure how to test for it. Then again it maybe the gauge. I conveniently have a spare so I try that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[DOUBLEPOST=1415161908][/DOUBLEPOST]Try the diag chart. Did you check you o2 operation before replacing it? What exactly are you fuel trims? 0 never changing? way positive? way Negative?

If it's a boost leak it's not in the usual places (silicone couplers, intercooler, MAF etc..). I think it's coming from the throttle body but I'm not sure how to test for it. Then again it maybe the gauge. I conveniently have a spare so I try that.

The throttle body is a usual place for a boost leak. If you are testing it properly, it will show up there (usually around the shaft seals) as easily as it will anywhere else.

Wait you have a 2g with 6 bolt swap so do you have your barometric sensor hired up? The 2g ecu will be looking for it and in mjcanada's post it shows failed baro as a possible cause for the code. And the throttle body has a couple of places to leak, shaft seals, isc gasket, biss screw and o-ring, fiav gasket. Do you have a stock 2g ecu and a way to log and tune?

Sorry it took so long to reply. So let's start at the top. Yes I have a stock 96 ECU, I fixed the code by reworking the EGR valve... Code went away but it's now throwing up a P1105. Found out that's a fuel pressure solenoid malfunction. Needless to say, I bought a new solenoid. Between the new solenoid and tightening all hose connected to the fuel pressure solenoid, I hope to finally be done with all these B&%%$@!t emission codes

Well it fixed the P1105 problem but I come to find out that my 96 Mitsubishi ECU will never pass emissions because of a programing flaw in the ECU. My city's emission czar won't exempt me from emissions because there was a recall almost 15 yrs ago. So I'm in the process of getting a flashable ecu from another year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back