The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Damaged Spark Plug Threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannigirl4g63

Probationary Member
Jan 20, 2011
Spokane, Washington
So I let a friend borrow my 92 2.0l NT the other day and when they went to start it, cylinder two shot the spark plug out. I tried just cleaning the threads but they're damaged enough I'll have to do a repair insert. Has anyone on here had this happen before? I know fords have it as a common problem but I want to make sure I keep it from happening again so could use advice about what all i need to replace besides the plugs, wires and coil. Thanks!!

You will just need to replace the insert and the sparkplugs. I take it you mean the cylinder head threads are the damaged ones? If you have the resources remove the head so nothing gets into the engine. If in a pinch you could try and block off the cylinder with a cloth or a napkin though I wouldn't recommend that. As far as replacement parts go should only be the spark plugs wires and coils should be fine. Plug wires can always be replaced if yours are older but no need for coil pack if everything is still sparking.

If you are attempting to repair the threads for the spark plugs, the head should be removed. Although not common, stripping plug threads can happen. Here are four possible repairs:
  • Heli-Coil
  • Time-Sert
  • Have a machine shop weld it up and re-tap it.
  • Replace the head
Since you should remove the head for this job, you should also get an upper rebuild kit (including head gasket). If the timing belt has not been changed in a while, you may want to look into this as well.

Due to money and time constraints I'm going to have to try to do it without removing the head. If I end up having to remove the head I'm going to replace everything possible and that would be more in parts than the car is worth. And I'm fairly positive that the coil is bad cause they tried to shove the plug back in and start it again and there was nothing from the car but it shot the plug back out again.

If you must do it with the head on find a way to block debree falling into the firing chamber. In the past I've used a blue shop town to catch most of the shavings but it is far from a perfect method. Best of luck though to you eaither way.

Just know that taking a short cut in this case could end up costing you much more money and time.

Due to money and time constraints I'm going to have to try to do it without removing the head. If I end up having to remove the head I'm going to replace everything possible and that would be more in parts than the car is worth. And I'm fairly positive that the coil is bad cause they tried to shove the plug back in and start it again and there was nothing from the car but it shot the plug back out again.
That tells you nothing about the coil.

Just know that taking a short cut in this case could end up costing you much more money and time.

I have to agree with him... Fixing the threads without removing the head is not a proper solution. Debris is going to fall into the chamber regardless of whatever you try to put in there and we are talking about aluminum shavings. The correct way to fix spark plug threads is to re-weld the hole and tap it. Afterwards a light shave is probably required to get the deck flat due to heat warping.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back