The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Cylinder Leakage Help....long

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candela

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
Austin, Arizona
All right guys/gals....

I bought a motor from a guy I kinda knew and who seemed very honest. The motor was a rebuilt 6 bolt with 2g pistons with only 1500 miles on it!! I couldnt do a leak donw or compression check on the motor before I bought it, but trusted him and received his rebuild receipts with it for proof. Well the motor is in my car right now and it runs really good, but it only has 125-130 psi across the board for compression. I know with these 2g pistons (I know it has) should be sealing to ~180psi across. I added oil to the cylinders after the test and every single one went up the same amount of 25psi, to roughly 150 across the board.

This left me very fuggin confused. I spoke with the seller recently and he assured me there was no problem in his car and he had no idea, and that he feels bad and is willing to help me out. The only thing I could think of is that it could have either been the rings (WTF new pistons and rings) or a head gasket. I blow no smoke and drive it daily like this and it actually pulls quite hard. But how could the rings be toasted if the motor is really only 1500 mile old and so are the pistons? Do youthink its possible that whatever machine shop bored the motor over didnt do it enough or properly and the rings arent seating correctly? Or maybe the wrong rings were put on, with to much of a gap or something...
Im going to do a leakdown test tomorrow to narrow this crap down and really see. Oh and BTW, the head was rebuilt also, and had refurbished valve seats with new valves put in...the head is only 9k miles old as well.
Do you think its possible that even though the compression went up after adding oil to the cylinders (rings...) that it could still be the headgasket or valve seating problem or something. I doubt it is, as Im only blowing a tiny tiny bit of white smoke, Im just trying to keep my hopes up :D Ill post back up where the leakage is coming from after I do the test. But what do you think I should do if it is the rings, because even if they are bad, everything else in the motor is/should be in good shape?? Thanks in advance,

Austin:thumb:

Well I just did my leakdown test at the dealer today ang ot an average of 55% leakage past the rings in all cylinders, and average of 20$ leakage throught the exhaust valves....looks like Im going to be building a new motor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back