The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

cylinder head help? 4g64 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin560

10+ Year Contributor
May 3, 2011
rantoul, Illinois
-----=====Edited======-----

well i found out why guys. i have three full sets of cam gears for 2.0. I was doing like you guys wanted getting a ton of pics. and next time you guys are around a stock cam gear flip it over. I have 6 cam gears all of them say 2.0 on one side and say 2.4 on the other. I guess the person i got it from had it on backwords.... well that was a lot of trouble for me over nothing... sorry to have wasted ## guys time. Thanks a lot for helping that you guys gave. again never even looked at a 4g64....
----=====edited===-----

Have a few questions. First off heres what im working on a 97 eclipse rs no motor 5speed not really needed for my qeustions. I have a 96 eclipse 420 motor with a bad head. I had a 2ed motor with 2 bent valves. I took to a mach shop... couldnt find a spring compresser that works. They tell me 4 valves are messed up will be 190 bucks with out parts. I found someone selling a 420a cylinder head for 150 with intake man exhaust header all sensers tho body 150 bucks. So i buy it clean it up. put it on. bolts on good. go to put the cams that came in it back in to set the timeing up. when i see 2.4 on the gears... a 4g64 i think is what its call. He looked and my car before i bought and said it would be the same didnt say it was a 2.4 (didnt come with valve cover) so i pull both my 420a cyl heads out its the same water outlet bolts the cams are the same the gears are the same every tooth. same rockers. same bolt pattern the exhu man is on the front side. i tryed to look around to see if a 4g64 head would work on a 420a. the only question i saw was a guy asked and some one said why would you want a worse head. so heres the question.

1. will the 4g64 head work on the 420a? idk how the vavles go on the 4g64.
2. the 420 valve cover fit. will i have any problem.
3. could they have swaped the cams? i have look the heads over their is no differance anywhere on it. i tryed to look a 4g64 motor up but mine dont look the same as what i saw. my water outlet is on the side with my timeing like the 420a. exh man in front intake in back every thing looks the same. I have no exp with a 4g64 never looked at one.

any help would behelpfull thanks for your time sorry for such a long question just wanted to give you all the info. sorry for any grammer errors its late..

Last edited:
Nope..
Basically a 4g64 is a 2.4 single cam..
420a is a 2.0 Double over head cam..
So parts are nor interchangeable with those two.

Cams, valve cover nothing is the same that i know off..

Nope..
Basically a 4g64 is a 2.4 single cam..
420a is a 2.0 Double over head cam..
So parts are nor interchangeable with those two.

Cams, valve cover nothing is the same that i know off..

any ideas the 2 cams gears say 2.4 for sure.

I'd love to help, but I can't read your post, so post a (GOOD DETAILED) picture of the cam gears.

I'd love to help, but I can't read your post, so post a (GOOD DETAILED) picture of the cam gears.

post is not getting much better than that. and ill take i pic tomarrow im about 16 miles from them.

If you look behind the cam gears can you see if it says 2.0.?

Well with pics it will be awesome.
Also if the cam gears are from a 2.4 it mean they are bigger and that the valves open more than the 2.0. You need better valve springs and retainers.

alright and you mean on the head itself? all ill get pic next time im at the car. like i said idk what it was the cam gears say 2.4 and alright on the spring and retainers. but tomarrow morning ill get pics like i said it look just like the 2 420a heads i have cams the same size gears the same every thing on it. besides where it says 2.4 this is all what i can see like i said.

It's possible that thy belong the th 2.4 chrsler engine thats used pretty common now.

like i said i have no clue LOL just seeing that 2.4 was a flag a bit to me wanted to get some advise from people on here that know more than me

Chrysler used the same gear for both motors. You bolt them on with the 2.4 facing inward.

You'll see that they are offset. Most of the gear will be towards the motor on a 2.0 and away on a 2.4.

thanks guys and i didnt know what a 4g64 had it was a guess ill have pic up about noon tomarrow if i get up early enough before work

Chrysler used the same gear for both motors. You bolt them on with the 2.4 facing inward.

You'll see that they are offset. Most of the gear will be towards the motor on a 2.0 and away on a 2.4.

yeah thanks that was what it was... wasn't thinking about the gear being backwords....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back