The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 2G Cylinder 1 and 2 not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirmy

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Car runs on cylinder's 3 and 4, cylinder 1 and 2 seem really weak as not working when i unplug injectors but cylinders are getting some fuel when i pull the plugs. Car sounds like a subaru. I have a COP setup so can't be a plug wire issue and all are getting spark. Put a new fuel pump to make sure it's not a weak fuel pressure problem and has a new alternator so electrical is good. Have used a noid and all injectors seem to work and swapped around injectors and no change, just stumped as what it could be, any ideas is appreciated

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
Found out my problem, number 1 cylinder has no compression, and the 2, 3 and 4 seem low but then could be that I did it with the engine cold and it's about 21° outside. Guess i know what im doing this spring. Thanks for the advice on doing a compression test.
Forgot to mention as this is a new build, freshly bored out block with new rings gapped to specs and all new bearings and arp bolts, was running awesome, maybe 50 miles on build and a bit of idle time, then started running on 2 cylinders after a quick cruise. Will do a compression test in case.

Found out my problem, number 1 cylinder has no compression, and the 2, 3 and 4 seem low but then could be that I did it with the engine cold and it's about 21° outside. Guess i know what im doing this spring. Thanks for the advice on doing a compression test.

Solution
Aren't you curious where you are losing the compression? You can do a leak down test to quickly find out where you're losing the compression. If you don't have a leak down tester, you can remove the schrader valve from the hose on your compression tester and pump some air into #1 cylinder (at TDC compression stroke) and listen where the air is leaking from. Could be a burnt valve or could be a gaping hole in the piston or could be head gasket. I'd want to know this ASAP.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back