The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

cyl 1 injector curcuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nasty Dream

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
My car has been down for 6 months now. I just used an OBD2 scan tool to find there is a problem with "Cylinder 1 injector circuit."

now this could be a few different things, but most likely I think it's the injector; maybe the injector is covered in crud and will clean up fine.

Maybe I could clean the injector up and reuse. Repair or replace, I need all the o rings and stuff.

if you look at this search result, you should see 2 parts. one is the felpro O-rings for the injector, but I need the seals too.

the kit shown seems like it would be a good idea but I saw a review where a 98 GSX said they don't fit. Well it's supposed to be an exact fit!

Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for injector seal

can anyone help with part #s or something?

finally, what is the best fluid to use to clean injectors? carb cleaner?

Here's another link to the kit: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-158-0898-Injection-O-Ring/dp/B0049ZLE1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

See he says they don't fit? I guess the other part is a spacer?

I just want all the seals and rings that fit, obviously

This is my first time messing with this, but I did just successfully put on an AFPR so I think I can handle it

Last edited:
Its not seeing a load on the driver for that injector. Thats whats tripping it. Either you have a busted wire from the resistor pack to injector or from the injector to the ecu, OR for some crazy reason the coil is open in your injector. Thats unlikely.
Worst case is a bad transistor for that injector. unlikely too.

well poo, I was misinformed. I just bought 4 used stock injectors. What you guys are saying makes more sense.

I wonder if it's the ECU?

I just keep replacing things, but now I'm short on money.

I don't know what some of these things are. The spark plug wire goes from the spark plug to the "coil pack"? And the "power transistor" goes from the ECU to the coil pack?

Dude... Just go get a meter at walmart for 10 bucks. Set it to ohms and "ring" the wiring. Its not so bad brother. Its real easy and real fast. I usually use a 28g needle to probe very tight wiring. But you dont need that. Just ring from the injector side resistor box harness to the injector, then from the other wire on the injector to the ecu. Thats IT. Then if your wiring is good and you still have the problem you can probably say the ecu is the problem.

HOWEVER, please test the resistor pack first to make sure its within spec. IIRC, around 7 ohms

I was thinking the same: I need an ohm meter.

I just want to have a look at my car at the moment. I'm going to wiggle wires.

OK, I'm just putting this here for myself, maybe:

Resistor pack:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Power transistor:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes. Whats youre power transistor have to do with the injector circuit though? Or are you just identifying parts? You are correct though.

Yeah, I'm familiarizing myself. I'd never heard of them until recently and never found them. I finally found that the resistor pack is on the firewall, a minute ago. Is that right?

So I was under the assumption that the ECU could detect a bad injector, but what you guys are saying is that it can only detect a load difference, for example if it is getting power. That's a big difference, really. If it's load it can be the wiring or even the ECU.

I'm going to borrow an ohm meter from one of my brothers. Thanks for your help.

So I was under the assumption that the ECU could detect a bad injector, but what you guys are saying is that it can only detect a load difference, for example if it is getting power. That's a big difference, really. If it's load it can be the wiring or even the ECU.

The injectors are connected to a constant, common 12v source. The ECU fires the injectors by grounding them individually. The ECU can't tell exactly what's causing the problem, it just knows that power isn't coming back from that individual injector circuit.

So yes, if the other 3 injector circuits fire then it could be the resistor, the ECU, or anything in between.

I'm going to tear down the fuel rail and try one of these injectors since I already bought them.

Does anyone know I can find the 'seats' for the injectors? Part description, part number, or where to find that information for myself?

There's a picture of them here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/394052-injector-install.html

EDIT: it looks like Autozone calls them grommets

found them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370880713894
"1995 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST GSX 4g63 Fuel Injector Lower Seals set of 4"

You really gotta get that meter bro! Just ring the injectors themselves to make sure theyre all around 2 or 3 ohms. Make sure none of them read "OL" LOL, thats an open fyi. Google 2g ecu pinout and do as i suggested a few posts back. I could be wrong but i think the injectors are not the problem unless the metal spades on them are broken or something. Its rare to open an injector coil. Would take a lot of current or a serious in rush of high voltage.

Well, I do have a suspicion that the mechanics shorted my battery with a wrench.

I had a clutch put in, when I got the car back it was totally f'd

I think I might have a head gasket leak, a rod or something messed up. They raced my car or something and it was in no condition to be raced anyway.

I bought thousands in parts and I won't stop until this car is nasty

I feel ya, kind of tough ever letting anyone touch the dsm for me. Been ####ed by 1 shop and 1 machinist. Twice by the machinist. Live n learn. Only the best work for Bessy from now on. At this point the absolute most i would do is let a sponsor like JAM do the machining and assembly. Ill take it from there.
Sounds like you got alot more than an injector. Dont rush anything and get er up n going again. best of luck
fwiw, 11-12k deep on a 97 gst and its running on 3.5 cylinders now after 4k miles(rings). I wont drive it at all like that. That whore was built for 450whp( and no doubt 52lbs/min she was there for awhile). GSX donor sittin right next to her, bout to get chopped up and then parted out. Things always get better.

edit:ambien induced comment.

post: now youre thinking a capacitor..... you certainly have the art of speculation nailed down to a science. Gotta actually test some things GLto you

Last edited:
One thing that I just remembered, there was extremely hot weather when I dropped it off with the mechanic. I wonder if a capacitor failed in my ECU. I want to take it out tomorrow and see. Actually I was going to have it EPROM'd anyway

EDIT: " you certainly have the art of speculation nailed down to a science."

It's called troubleshooting, and it is a science. And I won't rule out possibilities because that's stupid.

Last edited:
The problem was an injector after all. The code went away.

I replaced the injectors with some I got on parts trader and it ran different, but poor.

I checked the spark plugs and they were flooded.
I did a compression test and it was all pretty well balanced.

So I replaced the spark plugs for the 3rd time. And it runs better than it has in a while.

It's still running kinda rough, but it's probably because the exhaust is covered in carbon and crap (so were the injectors)

I'm not worried about the cat. I got the punishment o2 housing with Tial recirculated wastegate, 3" downpipe/cat delete that I need to put on.

But Is there any way to clean a muffler? My exhaust is covered in carbon build up.

I was thinking parts cleaner or someting. Otherwise I have to put another $600 into this car. I have the Thermal R & D catback

glad youre up and running. Now go spend that 10 bucks on a meter if you didnt already!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back