The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cyclone Intake Manifold..where Can I Get A Gasket Or Make One ???!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well as I see it, it's like this:

With the primary runners you get better velocity but there will be a point where you are making less power due to the lack of overall airflow.

The secondary runners give you more power up top but there will be a point where you make less power due to the smaller amount of air entering at a lower velocity.

Only thing you can do is take it to the dyno and see what happens. You have to adjust for when it opens through trial and error. It'll vary from setup to setup because of the different characteristics of spoolup on different turbos and at what RPM that occurs, cams... all that volumetric BS (not BS but you know what I mean). There might be a point where there is a drop off in airflow due to the disturbance. I dunno. It probably wouldn't be all that bad. Nothing worse than hitting V-TEC!! LOL

IF you had an intrepid SOB, and they wanted too, they could put the manifold on their car (I'm guessing you'd need above a 50 trim to show the benefits of this experiment up top end RPM's as a 16g would fall off in power) and optimize the opening of the butterflies. Then take off the manifold and port it and see what happens to a dyno run. Then go back and adjust butterfly opening time as needed. Then take the manifold off, port it, and so on and so forth.

DSMLink guys have a good advantage IMO. They can adjust the opening with the nitrous controls. They include RPM AND throttle position. That's very important in a turbo car because you can be cruising along well into the turbo's spoolup RPM but being light on the throttle (50%) and not have spoolup so who needs the secondary runners to be open when there isn't enough airflow? Then mash the gas and they open quick and the turbo spools and you just take the hell off. Oh well... ideas, ideas. First I need one, though.

Well as I see it, it's like this:

With the primary runners you get better velocity but there will be a point where you are making less power due to the lack of overall airflow.

The secondary runners give you more power up top but there will be a point where you make less power due to the smaller amount of air entering at a lower velocity.

Only thing you can do is take it to the dyno and see what happens. You have to adjust for when it opens through trial and error. It'll vary from setup to setup because of the different characteristics of spoolup on different turbos and at what RPM that occurs, cams... all that volumetric BS (not BS but you know what I mean). There might be a point where there is a drop off in airflow due to the disturbance. I dunno. It probably wouldn't be all that bad. Nothing worse than hitting V-TEC!! LOL

IF you had an intrepid SOB, and they wanted too, they could put the manifold on their car (I'm guessing you'd need above a 50 trim to show the benefits of this experiment up top end RPM's as a 16g would fall off in power) and optimize the opening of the butterflies. Then take off the manifold and port it and see what happens to a dyno run. Then go back and adjust butterfly opening time as needed. Then take the manifold off, port it, and so on and so forth.

DSMLink guys have a good advantage IMO. They can adjust the opening with the nitrous controls. They include RPM AND throttle position. That's very important in a turbo car because you can be cruising along well into the turbo's spoolup RPM but being light on the throttle (50%) and not have spoolup so who needs the secondary runners to be open when there isn't enough airflow? Then mash the gas and they open quick and the turbo spools and you just take the hell off. Oh well... ideas, ideas. First I need one, though.

well i have been doing some seat of the pants tuning of the cyclone with dsmlink! it seems that when i open the secondaries up at 5100rpm i get the best overall feel and from the hp as shown on dsmlink its around 5200rpm that the torque starts to fall off. i will comfirm all of this on the dyno;) cant wait.

Wow, I can't believe that it's all the way up to 5100! I'd have guessed like 3800 at the latest or something. What psi are you running that 16g of yours at?

I dont understand what you are saying about HP and Torque in DSMLink. DSMLink gives you readings for both. When does torque peak in DSMLink and when does HP? Better yet, when does your airflow in lb/min peak and when does your airflow in grams/rev peak? That'll tell us what we really want to know about the airflow.

That does seem quite high. Maybe because he ported his runners so extensively? Anybody have any other ideas why it might be so high? The dyno has to tell the final story, but if it turns out to be a >5000 switch point I'd consider it a very interesting result.

Wow, I can't believe that it's all the way up to 5100! I'd have guessed like 3800 at the latest or something. What psi are you running that 16g of yours at?

Remember he has a ported head and cams so his engine's optimal VE would be pushed further up in the RPM band (where air demand would be at it's highest).

Good job at matching complementary components to achieve a desired result :thumb: :dsm:

I still dunno. If he's running still at 20 psi, I'd be curious to see what happens if he ups the boost since he's hitting 20 psi before that 5100 switchover.

Buuuut. If it does turn out that it IS due to matching parts and the porting, then mad props are most certainly and definitely due!

i was thinking the same thing a little high! i have tried it as low as 3500 and as high as 5500! i am really stuck on the factory switching over @ 4100 so i went back in and set it at 4500 and will leave it there until i go to the dyno! porting does help it a whole lot! it is kind of fun playing around with this thing.;) another thing i knotice is that the car spins like a mofo! i dont care its still fun!

Good job at matching complementary components to achieve a desired result :thumb: :dsm:

Thanks! took a whole lot of reading to get everything somewhat balanced! my goal has always been 300whp:cool: anything above 300whp on a fwd is somewhat useless wheel spin get really ugly:p

I don't know on mine because I don't drive the car that often. When I do it gets hammered so the mileage is crap.

I can comment that a few guys on the Galant forum have seen a small increase in mileage.

One thing I love is the 5th gear passing. I can go 50% throttle on the highway and pass people like nothing. It accelerates extremely well for such little throttle input and being in such a high gear. I have to watch myself, it gets from 70-90mph very easily with little throttle and no downshift.

I don't know on mine because I don't drive the car that often. When I do it gets hammered so the mileage is crap.

I can comment that a few guys on the Galant forum have seen a small increase in mileage.

One thing I love is the 5th gear passing. I can go 50% throttle on the highway and pass people like nothing. It accelerates extremely well for such little throttle input and being in such a high gear. I have to watch myself, it gets from 70-90mph very easily with little throttle and no downshift.

took the words right out of my mouth!!! this is my experience 100% i have mine set at 30% throttle. 5th gear pulls are awesome:cool: i hammer mine a lot too! i am averaging about 21 to 22 mpg! dyno day has been move to the jan 15th monday:|

like the title says...i have the cyclone intake manifold and i have no gasket for it..where can i get one ..i need it today..if not what can i use to make a gasket so it works like a gasket ? im gonna be running alot of boost and i dont want a boost leak b ### i used some crappy gasket maker...let me know !!! :cry:

http://www.jnztuning.com/

They carry both OEM gaskets for the Cyclone intake.

Any Dyno news?

I've been following this thread and I'm glad someone has finally put forth the effort to see what real differences this manifold has compared to stock. :thumb:

I'm an autoX junkie, and I've been considering one for my current build-up. :rocks:

Nothing yet from me. The first time I got tuned at turbotrix they said they had an issue with the computer and couldn't transfer the files. The 2nd tune, they handed me a CD and said it was all there, but it was only AEM EMS files. I'm on the phone now with Keith and he saying the same thing about the computer issue, so the outlook doesn't look good. Seems ridiculous, but I don't have much time to follow up with this sort of thing. If I can get it I will share it.

Ken

Quick question...Has anyone sourced out a replacement seal for the butterfly shaft? I've had one sitting in my garage for a few years, but would hate to slap it in the car only to find a boost leak.

Since i noticed dsm90awd posted up about putting a sheet metal plenum on a stock manifold i figured i'd post this up since we are dealing with a cyclone here. I'm not going to retype all the info, instead i'll post the link to my thread on talk. I have one here too but it doesn't have nearly the ammount of info.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170355

Basically the short of it is i've heard the reports of people lobing off the stock plenum and welding on a sheetmetal on like the first link list in the thread above and reporting top end gains like a real SMIM. This made me think of doing it to a cyclone. Something that already gives gains down low before boost and brings boost on sooner. Well, what if we could add alittle more airflow up top?

With the modular design of a cyclone there's no need to hack off the plenum and weld on a new one. It simply making a new plenum and BOLTING it on to the runners. If i can do this and pick up say 2lbs/min up top or 6k rpm while still retaining the good bottom end that this manifold encourages i'll be happy.

We we're looking into a sheet metal plenum much like a JMFab with velocity stacks incorporated into the new flange on atleast the 4 short runners maybe even the long runners too. Another thought is to open up the short runners 1-2mm and installing bigger butterfly valves to allow for more airflow up top.

I'm sure i'll get flamed again for this here, but i don't really care. I'm certian somebody over here will have some more feedback which will help make this a reality. The manifold is already over at JMFab to get this done though it hasnt really been started to my knowledge.

Still no updates on this?

i am sooooooooo sorry for not updating this tread sooner but the clutch net 6 puck i had in my car took a dump. and recently i started my own business i have not had time to fix it. and on top of that it has been cold as a mug. but i finally fix the clutch and i went to the dyno today!!OMG i have a comparison of the cyclone that i ported it works great with dsmlink. i have the secondaries opening at 4200rpm. boost was set at the same as before 23psi and let me tell you the cyclone was indeed better down low and about the same up top maybe a little better because i ported it! this dyno was done with no tuning and i registered 0 knock! we can finally put to rest it the cyclone is worth it or not:boring:

Can you explain the graph for us? It looks like one run was with the secondaries closed and one was with them open, correct?

no this is not a comparison with the secondaries open and closed. this comparison between the 1g intake manifold and the jdm cyclone manifold. red graph is the stock 1g manifold. blue graph is a properly working cyclone manifold secondaries set to open at 4200rpm:thumb: the cyclone added almost 30ft lbs of torque over the 1g manifold!:) if you look at the dates you will see that it took almost a year to get a cyclone manifold, dsmlink to control it and finally to strap it down to the dyno. so IMO the cyclone if you can get it to work properly is not a bad upgrade:thumb:

kUDOS FOR THE EFFORT AND THE REWARDS! Nice to see somebody take his own direction and be innovative. That is what I liked about owning a Conquest/Starion before the DSM as many parts were fabbed because none existed for that G54B.
This is a positive example of TRUE MODDING, not just bolting on parts. Nice work! mark

May I ask what was involved in mounting your cyclone? Where did you put the coils? How do you run your spark wires?
Does it make any sense to run a cyclone on a stock 2g head, or do I need to have it ported? If not, how well do the runners match to the intake ports of the 2g head?
Sorry for all the questions, but what can I say? You inspired me!

May I ask what was involved in mounting your cyclone? Where did you put the coils? How do you run your spark wires?
Does it make any sense to run a cyclone on a stock 2g head, or do I need to have it ported? If not, how well do the runners match to the intake ports of the 2g head?
Sorry for all the questions, but what can I say? You inspired me!

>mounting it was not bad at all! it just bolt right on with no problem.
>i put the coils in the same place it is on the jdm engine
>i used a set of aftermarket wires that i bought from nopi motorsports
>no it does not make sense to use on stock 2g head the ports does not match
>don't feel bad about asking these question i asked many of them myself when i was interested in use the cyclone manifold;) here is a pic of the difference in the 1g and 2g head ports!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back