The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cyclone Intake Manifold..where Can I Get A Gasket Or Make One ???!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can't wait to see the results of the dyno.

How much is shipping on one of these things? I haven't seen one on my local board for over a year.

Bottom Line if you plan on making big numbers anytime in the near future that cyclone is junk compaired to a magnus or any other sheet metal intake. You havent even experianced torque yet!

Bottom Line if you plan on making big numbers anytime in the near future that cyclone is junk compaired to a magnus or any other sheet metal intake. You havent even experianced torque yet!

You either didn't read the whole thread or you just want to start a fight. Either way you're wrong and you need to go away.

keltalon, not trying to be adick but make sure you get a zip tie or s a little clamp on you FPR, you dont want that little hose to ruin your new year!

Back on topic I cant wait to see the results of the dyno, I have a cyclone intake waiting for when I get the new motor built and put in. I enjoy rally cross and track days quite a bit and love torque.

you are right! i will take care of that problem asap

You either didn't read the whole thread or you just want to start a fight. Either way you're wrong and you need to go away.

Simply, no, I will hold my statement as true. If that manifold was so great alot more people would be using them. Varible intake manifolds are designed to work with STOCK componets and to generate as much usable power for a car with a factory tuned engine driven on the street everyday. Once you start modifying the engine and its components all that R&D for the stock manifold goes out the window. Which is the same reason they offer aftermarket parts that are designed to give you gains when matched with other upgrqaded parts. Unless you want that 40 extra foot lbs of torque when going to pick up something at the supermarket I dont see the point. But hey lets see what the dyno says and then maybe I'll reconsider my statement.

Simply, no, I will hold my statement as true. If that manifold was so great alot more people would be using them. Varible intake manifolds are designed to work with STOCK componets and to generate as much usable power for a car with a factory tuned engine driven on the street everyday. Once you start modifying the engine and its components all that R&D for the stock manifold goes out the window. Which is the same reason they offer aftermarket parts that are designed to give you gains when matched with other upgrqaded parts. Unless you want that 40 extra foot lbs of torque when going to pick up something at the supermarket I dont see the point. But hey lets see what the dyno says and then maybe I'll reconsider my statement.

don't get me wrong i fully agree with what you are saying!!! the only problem a lot of us have is , before dsmlink and dsm chips, that in the past everyone was guessing at how to get the thing to work properly and no one has made a same setup dyno comparison to really prove that the manifold is or not worth it ! i have ,since my interest in the cyclone, read most, if not all thread associated with the cyclone intake ,looking for one thing, a dyno caprison. a run with the stock intake and one with the cyclone and after tons of hours reading no such comparison. there was one dyno run with the butterflies open and one with the butterflies closed but not with the cyclone vs stock intake! there was also a coparison concerning flow and the cyclone i think flowed 2 or 3 cfm less than stock. so that is why i chose to port and polish the short runners as well as in the section that connect to the head. the casting was so bad in the thing that if i had put it on the car without cleaning it up a bit it definitely would not have been worth it in my opinion! i have always been honest on these boards when posting, and let me say this again i got on the car last night after driving another 800miles, 1500 total miles, and this time i took the tach up to about 7200rpm and the car pulls like a mad man from 3500 to 7200. with my experience so far i am very suprised that most people think the manifold is not worth it. most of the dsm community will be satisfied with just making 300 to 400 whp i think i am definitely in this range and i think the cyclone will work in this range maybe more who knows. we will see. everybody lets try not to argue :shhh: lets keep this thread open at least until i dyno the car! i am just as curious as everbody else as to what will happen!!!:thumb:

Simply, no, I will hold my statement as true. If that manifold was so great alot more people would be using them. Varible intake manifolds are designed to work with STOCK componets and to generate as much usable power for a car with a factory tuned engine driven on the street everyday. .

farrari must know something we don't, on the variable intake design!! scroll down and look at engine performance!!!!OMG

http://www.autozine.org/Graveyard/html/Ferrari/360.html

To each his own PSI, not everyone dreams of there car being a dyno queen. The sheet metal intakes are good for high HP #'s but suffer in drivability. I'm am choosing the cyclone simply for drivability and all around usability if I loose some topend HP so be it.

Also don't shoot the guy down for posting results for something he's going out of his way to do. You don't like the cyclone or it does'nt suit your purpose then don't contribute to the thread.

From my stand point I dont see the use because my purpose for my car is to go fast in a straight line. many of you may or may not agree with me cause that might not be the general purpose of your cars, but like Gixerman to each his own which is fine. Basically all I'm really trying to say is that for you guys who are looking to get the most usable power/torque just because you get it working properly and see a 40 ft lb increase in torque dont assume that once you start adding more air flow/boost whatever you are going to continue to see the same gains. For example you double the amount of air flow from a bigger turbo or more boost dont expect double amount of increase of torque in the same manner. I know some of the guys on this board get 'gain' crazy and the whole thing like " well if you throw the biggest cams and the biggest turbo and blah blah you will get huge numbes, and now if you throw a cyclone on there it will double the power blah blah" thing to happen.

I will through retract my statement for saying they are junk. In my eyes I dont see the need because it doesnt fit my purpose.

And if it does happen to provide good numbers when you start throwing bigger and better mods great! It will offer another ( cheaper) option then spending the 500+ on sheet metal intake.

Keltalon those are some impressive performance gains, but you also have to remember thats on an N/A motor.

So how did that guy with the mirage run a low 10 on PUMP GAS with the Cyclone intake?

This is just another example of "what works for you" I have the Cyclone becasue I'm happy with the 450HP range. My car is my only car and I have to drive it every day to and from work. For me, this manifold is perfect because it does help retain good driveability without having to go wide open throttle to see torque. If I drove my car at WOT everywhere, I would definately go with a SMIM, but I don't. I also drive my car at 5800 feet above sea level so my airflow numbers will differ from most people on this post.
In a nutshell, I think this is a great manifold for a daily driven car that goes to the track once in a while. I'm glad to see people are finally starting to figure out how to work it.

Jeff from DSMchips has a Cyclone on one of his cars and his EVO 16G spools just about immediatly or something like that as it's been a while since I have had contact with him. He said a shop near Orlando was using them with large turbo's also. I had a Holset on a JM SMIM and with the Crower stage 4's it didn't make big power until 6K and would rev to more than I was willing to take it to so I shifted at 8500rpm's.
That's the nice thing is the combinations that are available and the guys willing to explore different avenues. I was one of the first to have a Holset and mid 11's at 122 was not where it should have been. found out my TRE spec tranny was a 2G by mistake for my '93 and that is why I had trouble shifting! Easily 10 sec as the guy I sold it to did 10.9 at 130. NABR did a test where the stock manifold was the best up to 6200 or so and then the SMIM's got more. I would have liked to have had that Holset on the cyclone to see....

NABR did a test where the stock manifold was the best up to 6200 or so and then the SMIM's got more. I would have liked to have had that Holset on the cyclone to see....
I think alot had to do with the size of the stock plenum itself. I've seen a few shops "hack" off the 1G plenum and replace with 5" round AL pipe and report flow increases near what a SMIM would make > 6K :thumb:

I'm sure a Cyclone could be "improved" in that way as well (if needed) though would take twice the welding rod ;) :dsm:

Not sure about your point here John. When I saw DSM90AWD it looked familiar, how are you? Got that JM FAB on? I had 2 of those Cyclones but never used one. One was complete to the last bolt too!

Not sure about your point here John
Just pointing out that runner design/size is but one aspect of a manifold's overall performance potential. I would hypothesize (based on the sucess of other shops doing such) that with a larger plenum the 1G or Cyclone manifold would flow much better > 6K :dsm:

Out of curiousity, what would be the general consensus on porting the ever loving crap outta the 4 secondary runners? I mean then you'd still have that low end torque, but a lot more room for when you get above your switchover point (or whatever it should be called :) )?

Out of curiousity, what would be the general consensus on porting the ever loving crap outta the 4 secondary runners? I mean then you'd still have that low end torque, but a lot more room for when you get above your switchover point (or whatever it should be called :) )?

I was thinking about that also to the point of enlarging the secondary butterfly's, but don't know what effects it would have on the air flow when they opened up, like a bad drop in velocity creating a lag point in the rpm range. Which would defeat the whole perpose of running the cyclone.

I have one and it's all hooked up correctly working just like OEM via a chip from Jeff O. (DSMchips). I have disconnected it before and the difference in spool, low end, and torque is instantly noticeable. I have yet to dyno it but obviously it's been proven it works at this point.

What some people don't seem to get is that this isn't a SMIM alternative, it's a USDM IM alternative. People like me who bolt on Cyclones aren't doing it because we think we are going to run down the 1/4 mile faster or because we want a 20hp gain up top. It's because it's a DIRT cheap way to gain a huge chunk of power down low which makes the car more fun to drive on the street and if applicable much more potent on an AutoX course because of the powerband.

I was thinking about that also to the point of enlarging the secondary butterfly's, but don't know what effects it would have on the air flow when they opened up, like a bad drop in velocity creating a lag point in the rpm range. Which would defeat the whole perpose of running the cyclone.

think about this velocity is not a problem up top, above 4k, after 4k its about flowing more air! if you port the secondary runners you now can flow more air. case and point a 2g head has better velocity than a 1g down low but a 1g head can out flow a 2g head up top , why , bigger intake ports!! this is just my 2 cents.

and trust me after installing the cyclone the difference is night and day! but as i keep saying the dyno will tell the story!!

No I'm talking about the transistion when the secondarys open up. Going from the small primary ports to a much larger secondary port should slow down the velocity. But this is under boost so maybe I'm over thinking this. Just tike going with to large of a TB.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back