The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

CX Racing Intercoolers? 4" think core support 600whp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funfettie

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Hi there
So I think ill be needing a larger and more efficient intercooler core for my build. Im currently running a 24"x12"x3" CX racing core. this wont support 600whp, right? So im planning on stepping up to a CX racing 24"x12"x4" core with a PTE 5857. Would this do the trick? Anyone ever had any experience with CX racing? Any other cores I should consider?
Thanks!

good products i have bought an intercooler and radiator from them and have wonderful results

What kind of power are you making if you dont mind me asking? I was thinking about picking up a radiator from them too.

You can't state X intercooler is good for Y HP. It depends on alot of things. Pressure, CFM, design... Why guess? Measure your inlet and outlet temps, then measure the pressure drop across the core. That will tell you how well your IC is performing. :aha:

Forcefed86, this is a really good idea, but I dont have access to the tools i need to measure air flow and temperature. Id rather just pick up a core that I know is capable of making 650+horsepower or something slightly larger than my goals.

instead of going with a larger core why not go with a more efficient core, less pressure drop.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/395957-most-efficient-intercooler-cores.html

I also dont trust CX racing/ebay internal fin design, they provide almost no heat dissipation. picture in the link I provided.

12x24x4 = 1152 thats a huge intercooler.

Funfettie - you dont state what method of tuning you are using with ecmlinkv3, are you using a MAS system or SD? If you are using SD what are you inlet temps with your current intercooler?

BTW its my favorite kind of cake

Forcefed86, this is a really good idea, but I dont have access to the tools i need to measure air flow and temperature. Id rather just pick up a core that I know is capable of making 650+horsepower or something slightly larger than my goals.

1 IAT sensor (can be read by an ohmeter). I've even used the cheapo digital indoor/outdoor temp sensors at walmart before as a one time use. It recorderd peak temps as a bonus.

2 pressure gauges. Tire pressure gauges work well, usually have a peak hold, and are cheap.

Your not looking for air flow. Your measureing the pressure drop. IE pre IC is making 35psi, post IC is making 30psi. The lower the drop the better.

Not alot of investment for alot of good information IMHO. 650 is a stout goal. Don't just throw parts at it.

I have a cx racing intercooler and rad in my car. I personally don't like the way they fit had to make alot of mods to get the intercooler to fit which wasn't a big deal really but with the shrot route when I went to put the cx racing rad and shroud in even though there images show it with both fans and there intercooler kit I can't fit the driver side fan in there. with there radiator and shroud set up. and I am currently only running stock turbo can't imagine how much trouble I am going to have when I go to a bigger turbo. also haven't noticed any drop in my temps since I put the radiator in compared to my plastic top one.

1 IAT sensor (can be read by an ohmeter). I've even used the cheapo digital indoor/outdoor temp sensors at walmart before as a one time use. It recorderd peak temps as a bonus.

2 pressure gauges. Tire pressure gauges work well, usually have a peak hold, and are cheap.

Your not looking for air flow. Your measureing the pressure drop. IE pre IC is making 35psi, post IC is making 30psi. The lower the drop the better.

Not alot of investment for alot of good information IMHO. 650 is a stout goal. Don't just throw parts at it.

Very good point. I really do need to start thinking more and stop throwing parts in. Ill have to look into this more on how to calculate the total power loss.

I ran the CXRacing core you are referring to. On my car it didn't cool temps well at all. I was getting AIT increase a little over 40* and that's from one run at only 24psi. Up the boost and it increased near 50* (at night LOL). They say it's rated at 800cfm . For 500whp it may work but if you ever plan to go over 600whp i'd stay away.

I ran the CXRacing core you are referring to. On my car it didn't cool temps well at all. I was getting AIT increase a little over 40* and that's from one run at only 24psi. Up the boost and it increased near 50* (at night LOL). They say it's rated at 800cfm . For 500whp it may work but if you ever plan to go over 600whp i'd stay away.

exactly what i was looking for! Thank you very much!

I havnt really looked into the methonal stuff at all. I dont really like the idea of putting a corrosive liquid in my engine.. but i may have to look more into this..

Should look into it before dismissing it. Best bang for the buck on a turbo car IMO. Since you don't run it all the time it doesn't corrode the inside of the engine. Use plastic tanks and lines and your all set. Ethanol is alot less corrosive and can also be used. But Meth works best. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back