The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G CV or wheel hub causing this sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonsaysr1

Proven Member
Jan 30, 2016
Rocky mount, North_Carolina
Im not sure if this sound is coming from the CV axle or wheel hub. It's on the pass front side. The boot is together still on the axle. But a tiny bit of grease can be seen around it. Like barely any in one little spot . The wheel hub has some play but was replaced not to long ago before I tore my car down. I've heard many bad wheel bearings but this sound is different from what I'm used to. As you get on the gas I goes away and coasting it's horrible. Decel is horrible too. Sometimes it gets obnoxiously loud other times I don't even hear it. at road speeds a speed related squeek happens but at slower speeds it almost sounds as if the pads are gone and it seems to get louder with breaking. It happened after brake boosted to like 7psi . It appears to get louder sometimes when the load is on the side of the noise and sometimes it doesn't affect it at all. Itd remain the same no matter how much I swerve or turn hard in a corner. Most wheel bearings make a womping sound . Never heard one screech. So kinda lost. There is definitely play in the wheel when I jacked it up. The sway bar link also managed to come loose at the nut. Had to use vice grips to hold the back side from spinning while tightening.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

id also like to add that when I lifted the car, I spun the wheel and it felt smooth. Im not sure if its because my car is lowered and the geometry causes the cv to bind more than when in the air. also id like to add when I was coasting I threw it in neutral and the noise persisted , as well as braking i was in neutral with the noise.

That is one EERIE sound. Idk WTF it is but it needs addressed closer for sure. Sorry I'm not much help, just want you to be SAFE! :thumb:

Generally if you are driving down the road and swerve back and forth and it goes away and comes back it is a wheel bearing. Brake noises have signed i.e. rotor surface being uneven or pads being unequal in thickness meaning the slide pins or caliper is locked up to a degree. If you have an axle or driveshaft issue it generally surfaces under throttle. Kind of like warped brakes under acceleration. That sounds like a wheel bearing and I’d start there. You might as well pull the axle and check the tranny fluid while you are in there.

That is one EERIE sound. Idk WTF it is but it needs addressed closer for sure. Sorry I'm not much help, just want you to be SAFE! :thumb:
right! top priority right now for me. going to pull the wheel hub tommorrow and check it. never heard a wheel bearing make this sound.

Generally if you are driving down the road and swerve back and forth and it goes away and comes back it is a wheel bearing. Brake noises have signed i.e. rotor surface being uneven or pads being unequal in thickness meaning the slide pins or caliper is locked up to a degree. If you have an axle or driveshaft issue it generally surfaces under throttle. Kind of like warped brakes under acceleration. That sounds like a wheel bearing and I’d start there. You might as well pull the axle and check the tranny fluid while you are in there.
yeah im going to pull it tommorrow, just wanted some opinions. never heard a wheel bearing make that sound. and sometimes swerving back and forth doesnt change it. idk ill have to pull it, but it definitely sounds like something is toast somewhere from the axle to the hub!

Please keep us posted as to the findings, I am curious to what it is myself. Weird sound. My sloppy as hell wheel bearing never sounded like that, the wheel was just "loose" when off the ground.

I can't beleive I didn't hear this until recently . This is rediculous. Then again my car is quite noisy so I might not have heard it . But no previous womping sounds , so I guess I somehow over looked it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

, yeah the hub was siezed pretty goodLOL but I got it changed out after work. sounds great again. now im on the hunt for a cheap windshield , ended up cracking mine while trying to pop on my rearview mirror, I didnt want to pull it off just for that reason.:ohdamn: one thing after the other right? haha

DSM......Doing Something More

And that isn't considered REALLY BAD??? ROFL
That noise would have made me quit driving because it would drive me nuts and I'd know it isn't a good sound! Very happy you found it and aren't driving around unsafe!

it really didn't have any symptoms. literally it just started squalling out of nowhere. now I do have a 3" straight pipe exhaust with an HKS muffler thrown on it so its pretty loud and produces quite a bit of harmonics so maybe i couldnt hear the womping IDK haha. also have poly on the transmision so i get a bit of noise from that as well. . usually im on it when it comes to stuff like this but I didn't notice it at all. also the bearing still had grease in it, and the balls surprisingly didn't look all too bad for how bad it sounded. but most certainly the issue with that much play.its just weird that the sounds it made were different from what im used to from a bad wheel bearing. and also how sudden it appeared to fail. Being my DD and my motorcycle down, It hurt my heart but i had to drive it to work. even took my lunch break to work on it because i know when you hear that kinda sound, something is seriously wrong.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back