The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

cv joint keeps breaking WTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbofanatic

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2002
New Orleans, Louisiana
i've replaced the front drivers side axle now twice in a month, because
the cv joint keeps breaking. and when i say breaking it actually breaks
apart from the rest of the axle that is in the wheel. and the other side seems to be fine. i'm just not understanding why it keeps breaking on me. but i have tried looking for similar cases here but have not had any luck. my talon is parked as of now and would like to fing the cause before i go and replace another axle. and was also wondering if the make an high performance axle that can wihtstand more hp than stock.
any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

www.raxles.com

but maybe you should just take it a little easier on the drivetrain from here on out.

how much hp you making??

mavisky
but maybe you should just take it a little easier on the drivetrain from here on out.

hey man thanks for the web site, and to reply on your statement i actually haven't been spinning the tires or anything in that's why i don't understand why they keep breaking.

and as far as hp it's around 450 or so whp

yo 90gsx, i am almost positive it is. it slid back into the trans as far as it would go and the bolts that hold the intermediate shaft to the back of the block screwed back into the holes with out any difficulties.

hey mavisky, i looked at the site u posted and didn't actually find any prices for the axles or even the info on the high performance ones. do u have to call them? thanks

thanks mavisky, but would anyone be able to share some insight on why these cv joints keep breaking. i could understand more if it was different axles doin this but it just keeps happening on the front driver side. and i just can't figure out why it keeps goin bad. thanks for the info on the where to get some better ones mavisky

well, lemme tell you a story of my car real quick. I went through 2 oil pan gaskets i bought from oreilly, and 1 from autozone. they kept leaking. then i got a napa one (cork rubber, not paper) and it worked.

also gone through a bunch of tranny seals from both places that kept leaking. again, got some from napa, and it fixed it. the ones from napa looked alot different and seemed of better material.

the axles should be lifetime warranty, so you shouldnt be having to pay for them again once you break them, right? I say get your money back for them and get some from a different place. ive had great luck with napa. just my 2¢.

well actually both of the axles has came from napa, and yes they do have a warranty but i still can't figure why they would just break and i have a feeling something else might be causing there premature failure

Originally posted by turbofanatic
well actually both of the axles has came from napa, and yes they do have a warranty but i still can't figure why they would just break and i have a feeling something else might be causing there premature failure

did you push in on the cv joints on both sides of the car to measure how far you can push them in? Your engine, or tranny , or whatever could be misaligned in the car making one cv joint really pushed on, and the other to not be into the tranny far enough. Just a thought.

I think "98TsiAWD" has the right idea. have you bottomed your car out recently, hit any curbs or any thing of that sort. it sounds like your engine and tranny may be misaligned. I have seen this problem before, your engine is most likely to far to the left and pulling the axle apart when you turn the wheel. Good luck

Mike

well if it is my engine or tranny misalinged how could i fix this problem, or even check to see if that is what it really is. thanks 98TsiAWD

Originally posted by turbofanatic
well if it is my engine or tranny misalinged how could i fix this problem, or even check to see if that is what it really is. thanks 98TsiAWD

Where did you buy the CV Joint, they should come with a piece of paper in there explaining how to do this. I dont really know where I could find it on the net of how to do it.

Ill try to explain, Take off center nut that goes on the end of the cv joint on both sides of the car. (This is with the wheels still on the car, on the ground, not jacked up). Turn your wheels so they are straight, Then lubricate the area where the cv joint pushes into the wheel bearing (brake assembly). Stick a ruler up to it and push in on the axle as far as you can and measure how far you could push it in. Do the same on the other side, they have to be within 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch I belive. Check this and then post on here again with the results.

well i had gotten the axles from napa but they didn't come with anything explaining that. i will go and check them shortly and post the results on here. i appreciate it alot 98TsiAWD

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back