The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A cv axle/boot ripped

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldwinnn

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2013
Morganton, North_Carolina
1997 Eclipse:
So last night I was out of town with a couple of friends and while we were driving I hit a speed bump pretty hard that I didn't see, and after I did, it sounded like a smooth metal on metal type sound, and when I got home, I jacked up my car and got under it, and seen that the CV boot was ripped on the driver side about 1 1/2- 2 inches, would i be okay if I just replaced the boot and packed it back with grease or should I just replace the whole axle. you could see where it had grease slung all around it, and there is no clicking or popingn while turning or anything, and you can hear the sound when you spin the wheel with you hand with it jacked up. i really need a response ASAP, thanks guys

I agree with colt. It sounds like a brake dust shield or something rubbing the rotor.

When you replace the boot, make sure you clean ALL of the old grease out of the joint. Different greases don't always mix well together. When I did mine I pulled the axle, removed the old boot and let the joint soak in some gasoline to help remove all of the old grease. I then went over it with some shop rages. Rinse and repeat until it's complete clean.

i went ahead and bought another axle, i'm gonna put it in tomorrow, i think the teeth on the end of are stripped on it. it sounds like the axle is trying to grab, but it keeps slipping or something so i'm gonna pull it out and inspect it. and another thing that makes me think that is because it only does it when i'm in gear, but if i shift into neutral it stops, and when i was looking at the axle it looked like it was jerked out a little bit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back