The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cut off wheel - Been doing it wrong all along

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD-Tony

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
I’ve always plunge cut everything and thought it was normal for the cut off wheel to just chip away. Never knew gouge cut helps with this and is probably the correct technique. I’m sure all of us just want to cut whatever piece and move on with the task at hand.

Knowledge is powa!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Many benefits to doing the gouge cuts. I work in a small shop and we have a disk grinder where the table moves back and forth. I’ve noticed that the wheels last longer with the automated table going versus dialing the handle straight down which is plunging. But time is money here and they don’t care about grinding wheels as they just want their job done. :coy:
But for the average person who has a grinder this is fantastic information since most DIYers are doing it to save money anyway.

Many benefits to doing the gouge cuts. I work in a small shop and we have a disk grinder where the table moves back and forth. I’ve noticed that the wheels last longer with the automated table going versus dialing the handle straight down which is plunging. But time is money here and they don’t care about grinding wheels as they just want their job done. :coy:
But for the average person who has a grinder this is fantastic information since most DIYers are doing it to save money anyway.
Absolutely! Time is money at work so ain’t no body got time for gouge cuts 😂

Crazy but probably common story having to do with angle grinders.

The other day I saw two workers cutting a piece of granite countertop with an angle grinder cutoff wheel in the front yard of a 2-family apartment building that was undergoing renovation. One was maskless and the other wore a useless (for this purpose) blue surgical mask. Neither wore gloves, eye, face or arm protection, and the wheel guard had been removed, of course.

And did I mention that they did this in the front yard of the building, not 10 feet from a sidewalk where passersby including children went back and forth, even though the building had a back yard with access to AC power with no one else present.

Not the topic of this thread, other than that it had to do with angle grinders and cutoff wheels. But man, how stupid and reckless can one be?

I told them that what they were doing was dangerous to themselves and others, and predictably they gave me this FU glare and told me they knew what they were doing.

This past summer I bought a $10 angle grinder from Harbor Freight on sale, along with various wheels. I'd intended to use it to remove rust and paint from some suspension parts on my Talon, that I haven't gotten to yet. But frankly even with a far less dangerous grinding, sandpaper or abrasive wheel on it, guard installed, wearing all the proper PPE and using it properly, the thing scares the hell out of me. Isn't it supposedly the most dangerous consumer level power tool?

Crazy but probably common story having to do with angle grinders.

The other day I saw two workers cutting a piece of granite countertop with an angle grinder cutoff wheel in the front yard of a 2-family apartment building that was undergoing renovation. One was maskless and the other wore a useless (for this purpose) blue surgical mask. Neither wore gloves, eye, face or arm protection, and the wheel guard had been removed, of course.

And did I mention that they did this in the front yard of the building, not 10 feet from a sidewalk where passersby including children went back and forth, even though the building had a back yard with access to AC power with no one else present.

Not the topic of this thread, other than that it had to do with angle grinders and cutoff wheels. But man, how stupid and reckless can one be?

I told them that what they were doing was dangerous to themselves and others, and predictably they gave me this FU glare and told me they knew what they were doing.

This past summer I bought a $10 angle grinder from Harbor Freight on sale, along with various wheels. I'd intended to use it to remove rust and paint from some suspension parts on my Talon, that I haven't gotten to yet. But frankly even with a far less dangerous grinding, sandpaper or abrasive wheel on it, guard installed, wearing all the proper PPE and using it properly, the thing scares the hell out of me. Isn't it supposedly the most dangerous consumer level power tool?
It’s definitely one of the most dangerous tools for the DIYer. I always wear eye protection but the rest of ppe depends what I’m cutting and for how long. If I know I’m going to be at it for a while, yes respiratory mask. But gloves, most likely not unless it’s fiberglass or sparks are shooting directly at my hands.

As for the guys doing the reno, it’s their choice tbh.

Hehehe, the MOST dangerous tool is one of those cutoff SAWS, the ones with the chainsaw motor on it. I used one to cut the front frame off of a wrecked Camaro. Very sketchy dangerous tool. Cuts any and everything it touches. I even said DON'T let me run one of these again.
Red Beards Garage and Cutting Edge Engineering on YouTube are where I saw gouge cutting being done and their projects turn out really good. Red Beard fabs up all kinds of stuff and Kurtis is one hell of a repair man from Australia. Check them out when in doubt.
Marty

Hehehe, the MOST dangerous tool is one of those cutoff SAWS, the ones with the chainsaw motor on it. I used one to cut the front frame off of a wrecked Camaro. Very sketchy dangerous tool. Cuts any and everything it touches. I even said DON'T let me run one of these again.
Red Beards Garage and Cutting Edge Engineering on YouTube are where I saw gouge cutting being done and their projects turn out really good. Red Beard fabs up all kinds of stuff and Kurtis is one hell of a repair man from Australia. Check them out when in doubt.
Marty
Hard to believe that home depot will rent these saws to anyone with a credit card. But maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hard to believe that home depot will rent these saws to anyone with a credit card. But maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I bet that a quick chat with any random ER worker would indicate otherwise.

It’s definitely one of the most dangerous tools for the DIYer. I always wear eye protection but the rest of ppe depends what I’m cutting and for how long. If I know I’m going to be at it for a while, yes respiratory mask. But gloves, most likely not unless it’s fiberglass or sparks are shooting directly at my hands.

As for the guys doing the reno, it’s their choice tbh.
Well, other than violating OSHA rules, endangering pedestrians and opening up the owner to potential criminal charges and litigation, sure.

I bet that a quick chat with any random ER worker would indicate otherwise.

EMT here. Can confirm people are actually more stupid than you can imagine.

Had a drunk gentleman zip his penis in his fly so hard it nearly severed it in two. How and why you would rip your zipper up that hard..

There. That’s a fact you know now.

The thicker cutting discs like he is using 2-3mm will wear faster. I use 1mm slitting discs and they can last a decent amount of time. Heat is another factor but more so is pressure! Let the discs do the cutting NOT you! Forcing it wears it out a hell of alot more.

I use discs every single day of my life! The thicker ones always tend to wear out alot faster.

As for his title its 100% wrong LOL, its not a grinding disc. Grinding discs tend to be 5-10mm thick and used sideways across the surface and not really for cutting! What he is needing to title it is cutting disc or slitting disc, so its a bit off but we can let that slide just about LOL

I watched that video the other day, quite a difference in the result. I went to the next level, bought a plasma cutter :p
Baller 😝

EMT here. Can confirm people are actually more stupid than you can imagine.

Had a drunk gentleman zip his penis in his fly so hard it nearly severed it in two. How and why you would rip your zipper up that hard..

There. That’s a fact you know now.
This reminds me of the Ben Stiller movie 😂

So this 1mm cutting disc i just used on 64 cuts on 2mm tube and its still got plenty of life left on it for other jobs brands really do also play a role here massively!!! Also not this is a 115mm disc

So we use klingspor all the time for slitting discs as they last and cut very well.

We tried wurth and they are just utter crap and i can go through 1 disc in just 3 cuts of tube vs many many cuts on the klingspor ones.

3m are also good but then they cost a heck of a lot of money and your paying for the name tax most of the time with 3m

Abracs also suck for cutting discs. I forget the other few we tried as it was along time ago but we kept going back to klingspor.

NOW sanding discs are another game as we use the cubitron 2 red 3m discs and they last 10x longer then the klingspor sanding discs!! So its all about trial and error on each use and item.

So this 1mm cutting disc i just used on 64 cuts on 2mm tube and its still got plenty of life left on it for other jobs brands really do also play a role here massively!!! Also not this is a 115mm disc

So we use klingspor all the time for slitting discs as they last and cut very well.

We tried wurth and they are just utter crap and i can go through 1 disc in just 3 cuts of tube vs many many cuts on the klingspor ones.

3m are also good but then they cost a heck of a lot of money and your paying for the name tax most of the time with 3m

Abracs also suck for cutting discs. I forget the other few we tried as it was along time ago but we kept going back to klingspor.

NOW sanding discs are another game as we use the cubitron 2 red 3m discs and they last 10x longer then the klingspor sanding discs!! So its all about trial and error on each use and item.

I’ve been using the harbor freight 6” cutting disc but I’m running low. Think I have a few left so when those are done, I’ll pick up klingspor. Thanks for the info Bobby!

I’ve been using the harbor freight 6” cutting disc but I’m running low. Think I have a few left so when those are done, I’ll pick up klingspor. Thanks for the info Bobby!
Do you guys get that brand over there? Im not sure how far out they get but they quite big in europe for sure.

We use the A60 extra versions as they do stainless very well also without over heating.

Do you guys get that brand over there? Im not sure how far out they get but they quite big in europe for sure.

We use the A60 extra versions as they do stainless very well also without over heating.

Did a quick search and it looks like we can get them $17 each. Not too bad if they last. Yeah SS cutting is the worst for the cheap Harbor freight wheels.

Did a quick search and it looks like we can get them $17 each. Not too bad if they last. Yeah SS cutting is the worst for the cheap Harbor freight wheels.
wait a sec $17 each single disc???

My bad. Pack of 10 😁. That’s cheap!!
oh i was going to say thats a rip off and a half!! we buy them in boxes of 25 for around £27 pounds

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back