The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom Vents w/ Guages

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey, there was a thread posted a while back about solutions that people use to mount guages. That thread is here (too old to be revived): https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/custom-vent-gauge-pod.379312/page-3#post-153719644
For some background, 3D designing, fabricating, and 3D printing is my job.
I want to keep a bit of functionality of these vents, but also make them useful and hold guages.
I took out my two vents and will be measuring them up to 3D print them so that they would be drop-in to the existing vent locations. The difference would be that I will be designing a hole in the middle of the vent to fit a guage.
The idea is that you can keep a bit of the stock look, keep the vents somewhat functional (no actuating left or right will be the only down-side), and add another convenient place for a guage. It would be directly bolt-in, with the only fabrication being however you wanted to do your wiring.

Would there be any interest in something like this?

I by no means put a lot of time into this concept design but below is something I whipped up to give you guys an idea.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think I’d be able to do a good job making it fit perfectly, but I wouldn’t be able to match the texture.
My idea is to 3D print them and do some light sanding to get out all of the layer height lines to make it smooth.

There's a market for it if you can get the face contour correct. You could also use some form of wrinkle finish to get the texture close as well.

Personally I'd just do away with the vent function altogether and find a way to block off the duct, to make wiring and full function of the gauges easier. But I know ppl like to keep their a/c ducts...

Make sure what ever you do you keep to the rules before talking about costs and sales, if you offer this as a service you might need to go freelancer,

Other then that its good that many people are involved in a wide range of backgrounds and services, so keep it up and keep making new things

What are the rules about talking costs and sales? I'm not nearly at that point, nor at the point to be considered a "freelancer." Still need to make a proof of concept LOL

Personally I'd just do away with the vent function altogether and find a way to block off the duct, to make wiring and full function of the gauges easier. But I know ppl like to keep their a/c ducts...

I actually like this idea. Was thinking last night, if I preserved the y-axis movement of the vent, there might be issues with the weight of the guage making the vent tilt upwards or downwards. If I deleted the entire vent aspect, and just made holders for guages, would this be more interesting? I'm thinking I can likely still make it bolt straight in.

EDIT: at that point, maybe I'll just make an entire top trim piece to bolt in place of the existing one?

Last edited:
What are the rules about talking costs and sales? I'm not nearly at that point, nor at the point to be considered a "freelancer." Still need to make a proof of concept LOL

you cannot discuss pricing or possible pricing, if you do 1 or 2 its ok but if you start offering as an item more then just a few then that lands you in the freelancer section, it means we can continue to build the forums freelancer section up with a wider range of products and continue to do well.

If you really want to make several, rather than printing the whole part, I'd go about this by printing the gauge area and grafting it to a vent from a junkyard.

Then make a silicone mold from that master and cast resin copies

Just add more gauge support in the Z axis. Sure it will add a bit to the print time though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back