The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Custom taillight question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96gstdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2006
monroe, New_York
I have a messed up taillight, so i figured i would just buy some new ones anyways. I was thinking of getting some of those altezza style taillights and then just painting casing or whatever it is called to match my paint color. My question is i see in some pictures, the middle light is not visible or gone. Is it actually removed usually or just painted over?

This is what i am talking about. http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2067&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=17187

That is pretty much what i want to get but paint the casing monarch green pearl to match my car. If you do have to remove he center light, do i have to bondo or weld close any holes or anything? Anyone have any tricks or tips on doing that?

-----Ryan.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

enough said...

I personally dont like altezzas what-so-ever.. actually they make me wanna puke, but I always say to each his own. The link you have doesnt look too bad. It looks WAY better than the chrome housing ones. I guess if you do it right you can make it look good. It says hes selling those, see if he still has them.

I hate the look of the chrome ones as well, but i figured that if i painted the inside to match my paint color and got rid of the middle light it would look nice. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would give it a clean look.
Anyone know about removing or painting over the center light?

Those taillights there look pretty damn nice too!

They dont remove it and fill it, all the ones I have seen they just scuff it and paint it.

They dont remove it and fill it, all the ones I have seen they just scuff it and paint it.

Does that prevent any light from getting through? Would suck to do that and then still have a little light shine through. Have you seen them up close? If so do they look good, or does it just look like a painted over light?

Does that prevent any light from getting through? Would suck to do that and then still have a little light shine through. Have you seen them up close? If so do they look good, or does it just look like a painted over light?

The middle section lights up? Hrm, mine doesnt.
If there are bulbs in there to light the center section up just yank the bulgs out of the plug, that would prevent it from happening.

The center section doesn't light up. Like ibrkalot said, usually you can just scuff em up for a surface to paint and spray em.

If your'e looking for somethin else to check out johnstintedtails.com

Ok thanks alot. I will atleast paint the center one, don't know about getting the altezza lights but I'll see. Usually look bad in my opinion, but i will see if i can make it look nice and clean.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back