The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Custom Rear Trailing Arm Bushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschambers

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2007
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
Ok, first off I just want to say this isn't for a Mitsubishi. I felt the need to post this because it's hilarious and maybe someone would get a kick out of it.

My friend stopped over with the entire rear knuckle/trailing arm assembly for his 95 Subaru wagon. The bolt for the arm was completely seized in the bushing. We took it out to the garage to try drilling it out. Drilling was no luck, so I used oxygen/acetylene to burn out the entire bushing. The downfall - no one sells JUST the bushing for the arm. And he couldn't afford a new trailing arm assembly...

So.......10 minutes of some quick thinking and a few measurements, I came up with an idea.

I had a couple extra bushing sleeves laying around from my polyurethane bushing master kit (they sent 4 too many sleeves).

Found a couple of sockets. A 1" and a 3/4"...

The 1" socket fit 100% perfectly into the hole where the old rubber bushing used to be...The 3/4" socket fit perfectly in the 1" socket, and the sleeve fit perfectly in the 3/4" socket...

So after grinding out the bottom of both the 1" and 3/4" sockets, and trimming 0.4" off of the 3/4" socket, I came up with the answer to the problem LOL.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 1" on the left, the 3/4" in the middle and the sleeve to the right.

Grinding out the 1" socket.

The bottom of the 1" socket after grinding to fit the sleeve.

The 3/4" inside the 1" socket, and the sleeve inside the 3/4". (Needed lightly tapped all the way in, along with some grease).

And the result :hellyeah:

When I put this creation into the trailing arm, it needed shaved down just a hair. We got it to match the other bushing by 0.2mm :)

Of course this is just a temporary fix until he buys the new parts...But the best part about it, is it actually works...Very well :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back