The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

custom front bumper cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXWHITE1G

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a couple of projects to finish before I can do a thread on the TMIC so I'll start with this one.
I had planned to wait untill finished before posting but had some time at work so I thought I would start now.

I started with a new Mitsubishi cover.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wanted a custom look but not ricer so I didn't want to go too far. Using a 3" grinder disk I cut out the flanges on the side marker and the fog light openings.

Use thre grinder to sand around the edge smoothing the ridge and preparing for adehesive

I used a hand held saber saw to cut out the radiator opening and prepaired it like the smaller openings.

There are many products available to use for this but I have found 3M 8115 panel bond to be the best. It is tough sticks to anything and sands and feathers well and dries very slowly giving plenty of work time but can be cured with heat in about 20 min if desired.

There are faster ways to do this but I decided to do it the way most of you can to make it easier for you top copy.

Place masking tape over tha outside and lay drywall tape on the inside and spread the adhesive over it.

This is just a backing and provides no real support.
On the radiator opening I used some plastic irragation tubing and heated it to curve around the upper edge of the opening.

I taped it in place then put some screws to hold it tight before gluing

You must support the cover to make sure it it straight before applying adhesive I taped it to the stand and the ends together.

Again i placed some drywall tape for support and glued it in place.

I had to continue with a second post because of to many photos
After the adhesive dried I trimmed the lower opening so it would clear the FMIC and used it to form the upper opening.

Trim to fit and screw in place and adhere like before.

Glue in a support tab at the but joint.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
Looks really good...its funny because i did one of these a few months ago and did almost exactly the same thing you did...Can't wait to see finish pictures

Almost the exact same thing I did! I really like the look of the fog light holes covered up, makes a huge difference in the final look!

I definitely like the part where you cut out the black piece in the center grill and put that other piece in to direct the flow towards a FMIC. I may have to try that.

damn, if I hadn't already replaced the front bumper and gotten it painted like 2-3 weeks ago I'd be doing this now...Holy hell I really like that red bumper above this post. so different! and what the hell kinda mirrors are those on that red car!?

Subscribed for later use! This looks fantastic! Will that stuff work for a certifit bumper? I just like how sturdy the certifit is and it won't sag on the lower lip.

damn, if I hadn't already replaced the front bumper and gotten it painted like 2-3 weeks ago I'd be doing this now...Holy hell I really like that red bumper above this post. so different! and what the hell kinda mirrors are those on that red car!?

Fabs they are the EDM mirrors.

You do some good work man. Keep it up.

Ive seen a hand full of these bumpers around now, but never seen one in person. If your ever down near Orlando hit me up. Would be a sweet photo op

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back