The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Custom 3" Down Pipe w/ Electric Cut-out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
here's the final pics of the 3" DP i did for the CRX. The customer asked me to leave the color on the welds for him so i refrained from brushing the rest of them.

Enjoy them, i've got a little time in this, not too much, but i'm still proud of it, every flange and part on it i intsalled save for the very first 90* off the turbo's flange

I'm just going to throw a bunch of shots up here, in no particular order
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The aluminum piece that's the actual cut-out is from ebay, as well as the flanges for everything except the HKS end, not sure what he paid for that cut-out but it was pretty cheap i was told. The flanges came in packs of 2 and he got 3 of them which i am unsure of the price on as well, the stainless came from various sources, the straights are from his fathers work (VERY nice stuff) and the bends were ordered b

This is the end of the small "test pipe" i used so that i didn't have to do what in my opinion would be ruining a good down pipe and welding a 2.25" flange on the end of 3" stainless pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you been welding? That looks top notch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the O2 be before the cutout otherwise your it would be useless with the cut-out open?

Any plans for a DSM pipe like that? I am looking for something like that.

Didnt they make something like that, that went in the main pipe and not off to the side like that..I can't remember wha company made that..I'll seach arounf and see if I can find the article..

EDIT..Everyone I found for purchase looked almost identical to yours..

Looks fantabulous tho..

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone, i love TIG welding and stainless especially. I've been Tig welding for along time on and off borrowing time on other peoples machines for a while but mainly did aluminum with them since that was the main thing i wasn't setup for on my MIG. I've owned my dynasty 200DX TIG for about 3-4 years at the most so i've been messin with stainless on a semi regular basis since then, but i've done TONS of 4130 chromolly and they are very similar in the way you want to weld them, being low heat to just penetrate the material and just enough filler to get the job done but not being concave, or too convex.

I've done a few DSM pipes in this fashion and aside from the cutout i'm finally gonna go 3'' on my car, so i'll have a pipe to make a jig from where i could possibly make a few, but i'll contact you aside from this thread to discuss things like that. I'm just wantin to share what i've done lately. As for another company making them for DSM's to behonest, I usually make as much of my components as i can and being that i'm more of a custom fab and motorcycle and car repair place, i don't sell other peoples pipes, but will install them if they are brought to me, so sadly i often am ignorant to a lot of the products being produced on the aftermarket scene aside from ECU's and things of that nature which i keep up onbeing a Haltech dealer

NOw.. for every one that caught the cut-out vs. o2 location issues

Yea, both are after the cut out, the rear most one is for the narrow band, the front one is for the wide band. I tried to get him to let me mount it in the vertical part of the pipe but he wanted it down there and hidden because he'd already run the wires and cut them short. the solution is that it is getting dyno tuned on an open down pipe no utilizing the cutout.

Then when the exhaust is hooked back up the narrow band will be in there for cruising around and the wideband will read correctly then but not when the cut out is open, he's aware of this and so i did what he asked. BUt i'm sure we'll probably be moving it later on down the road LOL

He is actually on his way back over to have me put some bent pieces of rod on the pipe to use some of the hangars on the honda's obdy to better support it.. I'm gonna show him this thread and see if i can't convince him to change the 02 routing for the better (will let ya'll know here in a couple hours)

I'm working ona sweet old drag bike right now. making new wheely bar mounts, raising the tubing that supports the rider as well as the de-zues fastners that hold the rear body work on and making a shift light bracket.. I'll have pics of that all up in a little bit as well.. I'm machining some t3o4L round for the seat suppports and brackets for the bars, i'm just on "smoke break" (after 2 hours i get the nicotine fits bad) LOL

i'll update the down pipe here in a bit and make a new thread about the Drag Bike, it's a different one than in my other pics, but some one he knows that saw the work i did on the black bike and wanted some things taken care of

Well, instead of putting hangars on it we ended up pulling an inch and 3/4ths off the length of the pipe to hold the HKS cat-back from ratling against a heat shield (plus it looked bettter pulled in a tad in the rear)

And after explaining the 02 situation to him agian we found a spot that was correct for mounting the 02, and was till fairly out of sight. So the OEM is not in the old front hole and the old rear bung was the 1.75 inches i removed, plasma cut it out, cleaned it up on the lathe and re-welded it into the piping. looks almost just the same overall, but the o2 is better of placed now and the rattle he thought was the unit needing a hangar is gone :D

I've got some pics of the "widgets" from the other thread installed but i will have to get them up later, i have to get this drag bike able to pass NHRA tech by morning and i've raised the rear bodywork and seat for a larger tire, need to mount the damper, finish the biller front shift light and cluster mount (almost finished that part) and finish the chain gaurd.. will post later if i'm not passed out in the garage :)

G

Last edited:
here's the final pics of the 3" DP i did for the CRX. The customer asked me to leave the color on the welds for him so i refrained from brushing the rest of them.

Enjoy them, i've got a little time in this, not too much, but i'm still proud of it, every flange and part on it i intsalled save for the very first 90* off the turbo's flange

I'm just going to throw a bunch of shots up here, in no particular order

The aluminum piece that's the actual cut-out is from ebay, as well as the flanges for everything except the HKS end, not sure what he paid for that cut-out but it was pretty cheap i was told. The flanges came in packs of 2 and he got 3 of them which i am unsure of the price on as well, the stainless came from various sources, the straights are from his fathers work (VERY nice stuff) and the bends were ordered b

This is the end of the small "test pipe" i used so that i didn't have to do what in my opinion would be ruining a good down pipe and welding a 2.25" flange on the end of 3" stainless pipe

Glenn I know this thread is old. But that's a good job there buddy. I am searching because I am gearing up to purchase a tig welder and do My own complete exhaust system tig style:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back