The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Custom 2G LED Taillight Build help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribal_RS_96

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Hey guys, I came up with an idea the other day to make a custom set of LED taillights using the factory 2G taillight housing, I have a spare set on hand.

I was looking at the lights and everything from superbrightleds.com and they seem to have exactly what Im looking for.

AE series Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights

ULITE series Round Accent Light Modules

My only concerns with this is mounting them inside the taillight housing, I will have to figure something out.

I plan for:

2 Red Circle LEDs with a inner light for normal braking operation, outer LED ring for Night time lights.

1 Yellow/amber Circle LED with a white LED insert for turn signal and Reverse light operation.

I will be drawing out a sketch of the idea when I get to my tech class where my car is, to get the dimensions of the taillights.

My goal is to make or have kind of a Toyota Supra look meets Bugatti veyron style round lighting without body mods, the idea may change a little.

This is my first time even thing about LED conversions, but I am good at soldiering and electrical diagrams. Could you guys help me with a list of items I need besides the LEDs?

I'm not looking at doing this right away, I plan to probably do this during spring break, or when I have the most time.

What do you think of this idea so far?

So you are trying to pass different colors through the OEM red lens? This won't work.
Also those accent lights won't be bright enough.

To have correct brightness you actually need LEDs in the Red-Orange color range not the Red range.
Head on over to HIDPlanet.com and check out their LED section on the forums. You can also check out my LED tail light conversion on here.

cool, thanks for the links, and I just read through your thread this morning. I thought there was a way to remove the red tint on the taillights, but I guess I will have to wait for a set of euro lights to appear on craigslist or something. Ill keep reading around.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back