The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

CTS-V brakes questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxeclipse97

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Cedar Park, Texas
So I have to get new brakes and rotors for my gsx and the shop was telling me its going to cost 700 dollars or so. After some research i found that I can use the CTS-V brembos on my car paired with some of the rotors form a 370 or 13 inch ones from a cobra. The reason for going this route is because they are direct bolt on as appose to trying to find the knuckles for the damned evo brakes. So I have a couple of questions regarding this project. first of what year CTS-V am i using the calipers from? what year from the 370z along with the cobra.

Also reading i was not sure if they are roughly the same stopping force as the evo's calipers. This will likely be done within the next couple of weeks or so. I figure I can just use the evo 9 wheels I have sense they clear the factory brembos that appear larger than the cts-v's

Last edited by a moderator:
My only question is whats the reason for bigger brakes? If you've already exhausted all means for better braking (pads, fluid, good rotors etc) then there is a reason to go with bigger. Otherwise what problem are you trying to solve other than you need brakes? If you need them great, otherwise money is best spent elsewhere.

It will roughly cost me the same amount to upgrade or replace with stock stuff. I have used crossed drilled rotors and ceramic break pads. I also eventually plan to track this car so might as well get something slightly more suited for that.

I own a shop, and I happen to know that I only charge $160 per axle for pads and rotors. Besides that, tons of DIYers and so called mechanics screw up brake jobs; there's more to know than most people think.

I own a shop, and I happen to know that I only charge $160 per axle for pads and rotors. Besides that, tons of DIYers and so called mechanics screw up brake jobs; there's more to know than most people think.

What's so complicated about swapping out some rotors and pads? It would be very difficult to screw it up. As long as someone goes in to it with a general idea of how to change brakes (watch a Youtube video, read an article, whatever), they'd have to try to mess it up. I could understand if he needed to swap a caliper. Then you have to worry about properly bleeding the system. Ideally, slide pins should be pulled, cleaned, and greased but it's not a necessity.

I try not to discourage someone from doing something themselves, especially when it's rather simple and it saves a chunk of money. Not only that but you learn about your car in the process. Unless he's going to a good, local shop, I trust myself over some dingleberry at a Jiffy Lube or something similar.

I have a general idea of how to do it and I have done it before. I just prefer brakes be done by people who know exactly what they are doing because my son is in my car often. Yes the those brakes are rather large but they bolt right on. So why not stop on a dime. If you have the option to do so and you have to get new brakes anyway. So can anyone tell me the year of the cars that I need to take the parts off of do I can get this project done. I checked on dsmtuners/dsmtalk and they say parts but don't give year of car. Also the place to order these from would be a huge help. I really don't mess with domestic cars so this will be a fun task.

So I have to get new brakes and rotors for my gsx and the shop was telling me its going to cost 700 dollars or so. After some research i found that I can use the CTS-V brembos on my car paired with some of the rotors form a 370 or 13 inch ones from a cobra. The reason for going this route is because they are direct bolt on as appose to trying to find the knuckles for the damned evo brakes. So I have a couple of questions regarding this project. first of what year CTS-V am i using the calipers from? what year from the 370z along with the cobra.

Also reading i was not sure if they are roughly the same stopping force as the evo's calipers. This will likely be done within the next couple of weeks or so. I figure I can just use the evo 9 wheels I have sense they clear the factory brembos that appear larger than the cts-v's

The CTS-V brembos are not exactly a "direct fit."
-There needs to be material removed from the caliper itself.
-You also require custom brackets for the calipers.
-You may need some spacers/washers made as well.

Not saying anything is too difficult but planning and research is a requirement.

Reference for the swap: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/359551-cts-v-brembo-14-rotors-bracket-attemp.html :thumb:

One other thing to keep in mind... The OEM front pads for 2010+ CTS-V run about $425 a set from GM, and that's wholesale.

Not much to mess up. 4 bolts if your changing the rotors and pads. Now drum brakes on the other hand I can understand not wanting to do as thier are alot of springs and adjusters to deal with. Disk brakes only thing to mess up is not tightening the bolts all the way or cleaning the film off new rotors.

Not much to mess up. 4 bolts if your changing the rotors and pads. Now drum brakes on the other hand I can understand not wanting to do as thier are alot of springs and adjusters to deal with. Disk brakes only thing to mess up is not tightening the bolts all the way or cleaning the film off new rotors.

Thats not totally true. You should grease caliper bolts, seat the piston/s back into the caliper and make sure they aren't seized up, make sure the pads aren't binding in the brackets, and possibly put grease/antiseize on back of pads to avoid squeaking depending on the pads you run. Also it's typically a good idea to try bleeding them after seating the piston.

im a little late to this party as i havent had a dsm for a few years now... but im back in the game, here's me testing the ctsv's today... yes they are direct bolt on, im gonna try a few different rotors, and ill get back on here and report
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the car i tried them on actually got sold, and im picking up another gst on sunday, and brakes will be one of the first things i tackle, still have the fresh ctsv's sitting in the garage waiting for a car to be put on

Sometimes its surprising to find out how cheap things can be. These calipers are replacements for the 2004 Cadillac CTS-V.

If anyone wants to know ACDELCO 172-2288 is a brembo caliper for the right hand side. ACDELCO 172-2287 is for the left hand side.

Then for the rear its ACDELCO Part # 1722308 for the right hand side. ACDELCO Part # 1722309 for the left hand side.

Brake pads for these calipers start at around $18.63 for the both sets of Raybestos front pads. The same price as well for both sets of Raybestos rear pads.

The calipers are a direct fit, rotors are the tricky part. You can use 13in rotors off a 03 cobra but they have to be shaved down just a bit. I was thinking maybe rx8 rotors may work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back