The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

CTS-V Brake Upgrade Spacer Question

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
We didn't tackle this project with a Wilwwod rotor in mind for basically 2 reasons:
1. They are expensive
2. We would have to start from the beginning, finding a rotor of the correct diameter, thickness, and determine the offset.

The Wilwoods we stock for 2g are too small at only 12.2". These calipers require a rotor around 13" diameter. Also, we already stock the Cobra rotors as we use them in a lot of our other brake upgrade kits and we already have the hubcentric rings for them.
The screenshot I posted above is Wilwood's 94-04 Cobra rotor. 12.9" rotor, with the same offset. The draw to the 2-pc rotor is possibly being able to manipulate the hat to make the rotor fitment more ideal. But you are correct that they aren't cheap at all. $1050 for Wilwood rotors VS ~$150 for a 1-pc drilled/slotted set.

I'd be willing to give the 2-pc a try but Wilwood is out of stock on hats right now. I'm capable or shortening their hat, but I'm not set up to produce my own hats from scratch.

99gst_racer

Apr 5, 2003
Coloma, Michigan
I'm just gonna put this out there, but if you are running the car hard enough that you need that much brakes, you shouldn't be running spacers.
Care to elaborate?

third point, if you are going through the trouble of making spacers, it's not much more trouble to just make a rotor hat to use wilwood rotors. Wilwood rotors are not that much money.
People aren't making spacers. They're buying them from CTSV swap.com. As well, you can get a set on eBay for $37 that are very close and just require turning 2mm off on the hub OD. Just mentioning this because most people aren't capable of producing their own hub-centric spacers, let along designing and producing a rotor hat from scratch.

Have you priced out the Wilwood rotor set? Rotor (160-7173-bk) lists for ~$360 and the hat (170-6223) lists for ~$180. You'd have more money tied up in 2 rotors than most people spend on all combined parts to do this swap. Far from inexpensive.

bastarddsm

Proven Member
Aug 26, 2003
Mendota, Illinois
Care to elaborate?

People aren't making spacers. They're buying them from CTSV swap.com. As well, you can get a set on eBay for $37 that are very close and just require turning 2mm off on the hub OD. Just mentioning this because most people aren't capable of producing their own hub-centric spacers, let along designing and producing a rotor hat from scratch.

Have you priced out the Wilwood rotor set? Rotor (160-7173-bk) lists for ~$360 and the hat (170-6223) lists for ~$180. You'd have more money tied up in 2 rotors than most people spend on all combined parts to do this swap. Far from inexpensive.
There are several issues, #1, the stock studs are not really long enough for stock wheels #2 longer stud decreases the spring constant of the stud and looses more clamp load under dynamic loading. #3 under reduced clamping you rely on the spacers hub centric design to support the load, which may or may not be sufficient ( remember bolts are not to be loaded in shear) #4 under reduced clamping you rely on the wheel studs to transmit torque which is shear loading fastener, and also gets more ugly with acorn nuts. #5 then there is the increased thermal strain from the extra thickness of material with a high coefficient of expansion, mounted right on a part that gets HOT.

Point is, these are large brakes, and an upgrade such as this would be needed if you are going to be doing fast lapping days, and that's not a situation where you should be questioning your wheel mounting.

I never suggested "people" are making spacers, but someone is. A spacer involves turning and precision drilling, same thing as a hat. That's not a far stretch.

Yeah I know what the wilwood stuff costs, and it comes down to you can have $1500 or whatever in a real set of brakes. Or you can have $500 in a setup with oriellys finest chinesium rotors with spacers on your spacers spacers and wheels that don't fit.

I suppose that's not all bad, your car will look like you are trying to fit in with the camber gang kids, and then the big brakes with no intent to use them will be a perfect blend of modern and classic rice.

Don't you have to slot the mounting ears to use these calipers anyway? These poor cars.

[email protected]

Supporting Vendor
Oct 24, 2012
Hamilton, ON_Canada
I'm so confused right now. My research led me to believe this is a bolt on mod for a 1G with the right parts.
It IS bolt on if you're fine with the rotor's centerline running at least 1.1mm offset from true with the caliper. We don't consider that an insignificant amount that could simply be ignored. The reason that all the existing upgrades insist on a 5mm offset is that it's realized that 5mm is the thickest spacer (or reduction from the caliper) anyone could comfortably tolerate and so that magic 5mm number continues to be trotted out as if it were true. It is simply not.

talonesi95t

Supporting VIP
Sep 5, 2009
prosser, Washington
Well, ive been collecting my brake swap parts, so far I have new acdelco calipers and rtm hub rings. I was going to shave the 5mm off route but guess ill wait and see whats needed now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds