The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

CTS-V 4 Piston on Rear Brakes 2G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Kane

Probationary Member
May 5, 2019
north olmsted, Ohio
Well like the tital states, im upgrading my front brakes with the 4 piston brakes which we all know is not an issue but refuse to do so until i figure out how to do the rears. The idea of putting really nice looking and great calipers on the front i want the matching on the rear because seeing 2 pistons on the rear with 4 piston on the front look stupid. I want matching rear brembos and cant find any info at all on this anywhere online but i dont think its because its not possible. I just want to find out 1) if someone here has done it and if so how. If no one has id like to know why, can brakets not be fabricated for mounting? To much of a hasstle? I know they have the rear calipers available because i bought a set of 4, 2 fronts and 2 rears. So any information would be grat on this topic and hear what the community has to say about it, thanks.

Hello. I am having hard time understanding what you are asking.

1) You already have bought 4 calipers? If so which once did you buy? Please explain.

2) Which car do you have?

3) What is your realistic budget?

Also brackets could be fabricated. It just will take time and some skills. Also money to have them cut. The problem is if it is on 1g then you have parking brake issue. You could do hydraulic parking brake but then again it's money. You can do ''because race car'' and do no parking brake and call it a day. Next issue is figure out which rotor will fit so that calipers will be centered and that you will need to do a lot of measurement and a lot of comparing specs online. Then you would need to buy them and try it out. Again money.

Also no one will actually give you any measurements because I try to ask those questions 2 year ago and no one answered. I did trial and error method.

If it is on 1g. I could possible help with ideas but I did evo brembo swap for few reasons. If you doing ctsv calipers I won't be able to help but maybe you can measure them and post online so that we can compare sizes to evo calipers.

I do appologize as i now realize i wasnt as clear as i should have been so please forgive me, i have the 1995 eclipse GST and i bought a full set of front and rear CTS-V calipers, the same front ones everyone uses on there conversions but found a set that included the rear calipers also. So with that said isnt there a way to convert the rears the same way you do the fronts or is the reason no one has done it because its not that it cant be done but its just not worth the cost/time to get and do what needs to be done to make it work. Its just if i cant do the rears i feel like doing the fronts it will just look stupid having these nice 18" rims and great looking brembos on the front and then they horrible looking 2 pistons on the rear yea know.

Their is no reason to apologize. Everything is cool. I did 1g brembo swap so 2g is a different animal. But you already have parking brake figures out. The only issue is that you need to figure out which rotors you need to use. I would buy evo rotors and try to Mack it up on the car. Buy some plywood and go to town. If the rotors will be not tall enough then you will need to try to find taller rotors. If you find them and cut brackets go to machine shop and they will make it happen.

Option number two and which one I would do is do evo calipers and powder coat them to the same color. Simple and effective.

Also can you measure the calipers for me. I would like to know how thick the calipers are so that I can compare to my evo calipers. Reason being if the calipers are smaller then you can use different offset wheels and maybe just maybe have better fitment. If you can measure them with digital caliper. Thanks.

Why it has not been done is because most people choose the easy way out. People who are not scared and are open to spend money then it should not be a problem. It is just time and money. You would probably need to buy few rotors and try them out.

So the plan was to use the 12.99 rotors from the mustang as outlined for the front CTS-V convertion kit that just sells the spacers and bolts for the fronts since the full kit isnt sold anymore. It also looks like the evo does the same thing doing 4 piston on the front and 2 piston on the rears with the brembos. I didnt even think about a parking brake issue, being a neddw to this i just figured the parking break would still hook up just fine just positioned differently with the much larger caliper. I cant personally measure them myself as there at the shop with everything else as its curently being repaired and also getting tons of upgrades done, this being one of them.

Well with that being said its not that i have a ton of money in the least bit but im not scared to try something new for the sake of making it look right and good and ive seen cars with the 4/2 piston set up and always say the same thing, that looks horrible im doing 4 pistons all the way around when i do it because im not spending money on a whole performance suspention set up and killer momo rims to have iit be ruined by 2 piston tiny calipers in the rear LOL.

Well with that being said its not that i have a ton of money in the least bit but im not scared to try something new for the sake of making it look right and good and ive seen cars with the 4/2 piston set up and always say the same thing, that looks horrible im doing 4 pistons all the way around when i do it because im not spending money on a whole performance suspention set up and killer momo rims to have iit be ruined by 2 piston tiny calipers in the rear LOL.
Well that is your opinion. I feel different but it's your build so when you actually do something different please post some pictures for other to see. Also I am sure someone will come in and bring this us, what about brake bios? I feel that you could have issues with that. So here goes money again, you will need to integrate some sort of controller. I have kicked the idea around and I decided to go as simple as I could because I was not sure if I would have brake Luck up issues. But I figure I can always add it later. So food for thoughts. Also wheel clearance become and issue. Fender issues come up with that. It's a lot more then just swapping calipers. Doing brake swap of such caliber is fun and rewarding. Every time you look at them it makes you feel that you build something with your hands. Good luck.

It can be done if you want to get stuff made for it,

Reasons its not done alot is the brake bias would be way off, also a master cylinder that needs to be big enough to push alot more fluid and perhaps a restrictor for rear pressure as you dont really want to have the rears the same as the fronts unless you are highly skilled and want it like that, the back end will tend to lock up first and spin out on you.
Also 4 piston calipers will have to work with the evo rotors with internal E brakes. Or ditch them altogether and then its more cost getting a new hydro E brake system installed.

So while it can be done its far too costly and since you dont want to spend slot of money its not the best option really.

You should still have decent brake bias with the CTS-V fronts and Evo 8 rears right? Just use a 3g booster and master cylinder and you should be good to go.
Yes but this chap wants 4 pots front and 4 pots rear. So it will throw the bias out some

You should still have decent brake bias with the CTS-V fronts and Evo 8 rears right? Just use a 3g booster and master cylinder and you should be good to go.
I have no issues at this moment and I have no abs. Also I just used 3G master on stock booster. Pedal feels stock. Keep in mind that I just have regular ceramic pads at the moment. Things could change once performance pads will be installed. Have hp+ waiting to go in.

Last edited:
Yes but this chap wants 4 pots front and 4 pots rear. So it will throw the bias out some

I missed that. He could have brackets made, but as the Evo 8's run around $200/250 a set I doubt he would be able to get custom made brackets cheaper than that. He would also need to find the right size caliper and as something else stated, come up with a solution to the ebrake.

Yea after thinking long and hard as much as i really want to do it, i think im going to wait for that project for the future because its a solution i want to find and do if nothing else just to do it and find the best way too for future people who might want to in the future. So until then im just going to try and find a set of rear 2 piston brembo evo 8 calipers because thats a bolt on solution and just powder coat them to match the silver cts-v front calipers until i can find them in silver already. So where is the best place to find them new on the web, ive been looking and all i can find is used or places wanting stupid prices like a grand per caliper.

I know you've made your decision, but for future searches this is unfortunately a terrible idea. As previously stated it'll kill the bias so the only way to make it work would be an adjustable prop in which case you would just dial the rear down till they bite the same as a set of evo rears then you just have the additional weight and complexity of the ctsv rears. In one of the ctsv threads I found the bolt spacing for the rears and posted it.

Yea after thinking long and hard as much as i really want to do it, i think im going to wait for that project for the future because its a solution i want to find and do if nothing else just to do it and find the best way too for future people who might want to in the future. So until then im just going to try and find a set of rear 2 piston brembo evo 8 calipers because thats a bolt on solution and just powder coat them to match the silver cts-v front calipers until i can find them in silver already. So where is the best place to find them new on the web, ive been looking and all i can find is used or places wanting stupid prices like a grand per caliper.

I spend a lot of ime looking for rear calipers. One is available and one is on back order. I don't remember which one. I order from summit and waited 4 months. Then I had to cancel the order as their is no eta available. This pretty much on all sites that sell reman calipers. The only option is ebay. You can try evolutionm but I had better luck with ebay. I bought all 4 calipers for $600. The rear calipers would cost about $400 for reman so it was a better choice buying used. Also centric use to sell already coated once but its hard to find a set in stock as they stoped doing that. Try autoparts store and see if they are available first and then do ebay. Things may have changed since I was looking for them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back