The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crushed DSM's

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I figured this was an interesting idea for a thread. I am one of those junkyard floaters that stops by once or twice per week to see if anything good is there. Occasionally I see a DSM or 2.

I'm going to use this thread to post photos of every DSM I see at the yard. Maybe someone will recognize one of the vehicles. If not, then we're just keeping count of how much more rare our cars are becoming.

I'd like to point something out as well. 4 years ago when I bought my Eclipse, it was a struggle to find a DSM at any of the junkyards in the state. Maybe found one per year. But something happened in 2021, and there seems to be at least one per month at the local yard, a few more across the state. I'm not necessarily complaining, because it puts the harder to find parts right in my hands. It's just sad to see that more and more people are throwing these cars away. Every car that passes through this yard gets sent to the scrapper. So you are seeing the final state in these images.

These are from a few weeks ago. This week coming soon.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I still wonder what caused that Barcelona Pearl '99 to end up at the yard. It was not wrecked and the paint was the best I've seen for the original paint job. As you can see, people took advantage of those body parts and the beige interior.

You'll probably notice in this thread that the majority of the DSM to pass through are N/T. But don't be surprised when I find a turbo model. I saw a turbo 1g that was stripped bare and hard to identify.

007jimmy

Proven Member
Feb 27, 2012
Levittown, Pennsylvania
I lived near 2 pick and pull yards (1 closed due to environmental issues) and constantly scour for Dsm parts. Around the 2010s there were plenty of 2g cars mostly 420a models very few spyders/turbo models and even less 1g (any) models . Now I can rarely find 1 Dsm of any trim. I don’t see this getting any better obviously since it’s been out of production for 20+ years. It is sad luckily there were plenty made to help us chug along decades later.

Salty-Seagull

Supporting Member
Jul 16, 2019
Kimball, Michigan
Up north they tend to rot away if they've seen winter roads. The few I've seen at yards in Michigan were pretty far gone, so I get that, but those actually look like they were worth saving.

I doubt that there are enough parts left to save them all though. And repairs can be very expensive. When I think about all of the time and money I'm spending on my car, if it was just for transportation, it would not be worth it. On paper, its a terrible investment LOL. But for a hobby, I don't care, and I love it.

For as sad as it is for me to see these cars in scrap yards, I will be even sadder when donor cars dry up and it gets even harder to source already rare parts if/when we need them. :( Its just too bad more of these yards dont strip the cars and sell the parts online...

Last edited:

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
I'm trying to save as many around here but most of them are extremely rusty so they get crushed unfortunately. I have loads of parts I've been sitting on from over the years. I'll never junk them. I just picked up a rust bucket but I'll sit on it for parts before I ever junk it.
This is the same reason I will buy a complete car, just to have the PARTS to use on my running, titled DSMs!
They are scarce in the yards around here
I saw 2 2gs in a yard a couple months ago. Both N/A cars but decent bodys.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
It's been a while since I posted in this thread, but don't worry. I've got something special for you today.

Today's find is a V6 SWAPPED! 1997 Eclipse GS. It's quite interesting because you hardly ever see anyone who "successfully" swaps other engines into the N/T cars. And here we have a Mitsubishi 4 cam engine and manual trans swapped into one. I really wish I had more info on this build but I'm just the guy who found it's remains at a junkyard.

Not only is this an interesting sight to see and good story to tell, but I also got the rear hatch off this car. It's in rough shape but it has a rear wiper! Since mine is an RS it never came with the rear wiper assembly. I've still got a lot of work before it's installed and functioning.

CrackedDSM

Proven Member
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Good use of quotes. Look at the motor mount. Im guessing this car never saw the road

I wouldn’t be so sure. Remember the guy who was V8 swapping his clean 1G awd, and cut the firewall completely out of the car without bracing it beforehand and then arc welded square tubing to his custom “firewall” for the heavy iron block 400+CI Ford v8? He bragged about driving the car on the road.

I will never underestimate people’s ability to shade tree stuff and drive it on public roads.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I wouldn’t be so sure. Remember the guy who was V8 swapping his clean 1G awd, and cut the firewall completely out of the car without bracing it beforehand and then arc welded square tubing to his custom “firewall” for the heavy iron block 400+CI Ford v8? He bragged about driving the car on the road.

I will never underestimate people’s ability to shade tree stuff and drive it on public roads.
Ill give you possible but not probable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds