1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Critique this autox run

Posted by silvreclips, Jul 15, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Here is my best autox run from this weekend. Rain and lightning ended the event early so I wasn't able to beat my second run. This run was with 1 cone, I think it was the first cone on the right. The suspension could be a lot better, the car has old tokico springs and illumina struts on it, poly bushings, rear swap bar. This event I changed the alignment to 1/8" toe out in the front and about 1/16" toe out in the rear. It seemed to help the car turn in much better.

Some advice from the pros would be great. Still managed to grab 1st in SMF.

2. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    You're inputs were a little late. Don't be afraid to be more aggressive in getting the car to dance. Otherwise it looked good. Do you have a front LSD? It would be a big help.

Toe in up front and toe out in the rear is a little backwards. Usually, you toe out the front and either zero or toe in the rear to help with oversteer. Have you tried any toe out up front? It should make the front end more responsive.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. silvreclips

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Thanks for the response, I think you may have misread my alignment settings. Currently the car is set to 1/8 toe out up front. It did help the car to be more responsive. I was aiming for 0 toe in the rear but over shot it some and ended up with some toe out.

No LSD at the moment. That's something I would like to add over the winter if I can find one. None are being made anymore.

Are you saying all of my inputs were late? I thought the first 1/2 of the run looked pretty good and tight, and I got a little late on the second half.

I'll upload another video from a few weeks back and see what you think about that one. Thanks again for the feedback

4. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    The latter half of the run is where I started noticing it.

I'm assuming you're in SM since I can hear the bov flutter. Getting an LSD should be priority number 1. It sounds like you're lighting up the front almost every chance you get to throttle out.

Awesome job and keep up the good work!

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    silvreclips likes this.
  5. silvreclips

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    This is a 420a car, so the turbo put me right into SMF with a bunch of stripped out civics. I keep the boost low enough (17psi) that I can hook up 2nd, but 1st gear just spins.

Here is a video from the last night series event. I was pretty far off the cones on most corners. The car was wanting to push really bad (reason for trying the new alignment), and the rear was getting loose on some of those off camber transitions. The lot is not that great.

The good thing about these night series events, they run the same track configuration all year, so I can work on the same elements and play around with the car some to see what works and what doesn't.