The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Creating Guides for AutoX Classes, need your help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I'm going to be putting together guides to help DSMers see what classes they can compete in for autocross, specifically SCCA. I'd like to break it up by class and create lists of what mods can be done to the car for each class. If you guys can help me out I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for people who have competed in each class and are familiar with the class rules to post a list of mods that will make a DSM competitive in that class and still stay within the class rules - some insight from fellow DSMers that you can't get just by reading the class rules themselves. I'd like to separate it by 1G Turbo FWD, 1G Turbo AWD, 2G Turbo FWD and 2G Turbo AWD since the parts lists will be different for the 1G and 2G. Once we get those done I can touch on 1G and 2G N/T cars and GVR-4s.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here's a link to the RGRSCCA.org checklist for classification in Solo2. It should help.

The big one that will nail pretty much everone is changing the boost level from stock. It immediately puts you into SM, in which case you'd better make a whole lot of additional changes to be competetive (ie, answer yes to almost everything on the list). Changing out turbos also bumps you to SM. Of course you could always modify the factory boost solenoid for the extra 2psi, port the heck out of the stock turbo and no one would know.

Here's a link to the RGRSCCA.org checklist for classification in Solo2. It should help.

The big one that will nail pretty much everone is changing the boost level from stock. It immediately puts you into SM, in which case you'd better make a whole lot of additional changes to be competetive (ie, answer yes to almost everything on the list). Changing out turbos also bumps you to SM. Of course you could always modify the factory boost solenoid for the extra 2psi, port the heck out of the stock turbo and no one would know.
Thanks, that will help. But I'm hoping I can get people who are participating in certain classes and are familiar with the rules of that class to list all the mods you can do to a DSM to make it competitive and still stay within the rules of that class.

Well I was running in DSP last season (i'm sure it's D-class street prepared) I was allowed to have pretty heavy suspension mods like lowering springs/ sport shocks and struts or coil-overs, front and rear strut bars, larger sway bars (i don't have those though), slightly wider than stock tires with street legal tires (azenis all the way!!!) and very light motor mods, like an air filter, plug wires, and my 2 1/2" exhaust got through. Almost got bumped into Street modified for my 16g but they didnt care that much. Problem with street modified (or from what I can tell) is you can have bottom-end work done and I have none so I would of got smoked in that class.

Hope this is what you're wanting for this thread Ludachris

I know this is an old post but Ive been searching on here for like minded people and I ran across this one and figured I'd revive it. I'm running HS(the lowest of lows) this year, Ive done extensive studying of the rules that stand out to me in the class to make me more competitive than just a stock car.
The rules that stand out to me are:
Note- the 13.x are the spots in the rule book you can go over the rules and make sure they work for you.
1. 13.2 The ability to run data loggers and turbo timers, no they do not help performance but they do help longevity of your car.
2. 13.3 & 13.4 Any tire and rim as long as the rim is 1 inch larger or smaller, the rim must be the same width and the back spacing doesn't exceed +/-.275 if an inch, tires pretty much just have to be a production DOT tire with a minimum tread wear of 200
3. 13.5 the allowance of struts no more than two adjustments allowed (not to be confused with aftermarket coil springs which normally use a different spring than factory)
4. 13.6 you can use whatever brake pad material you'd like as long as it goes in the stock calipers, and you may change the hoses to hard tubing or SS braided
5. 13.7 you may add take off or replace your sway bar and bushing for it and the end links.
6. 13.9 there is no limit to spark plugs or coils
7. 13.10 the only thing that stand out to me is the use of an aftermarket air filter. but the original flow path must be intact aka just a filter change. And the use of any exhaust system cat back as long as it exits the car in the stock location and is in reg with Db levels

Now something that I plan to do but the rules doesn't state which normally means you cant do it (if anyone knows please let me know)
the use of different shifter bushings and a short throw shifter in 14.10 section G (which is the next class up from street) it states you can use any mechanical shifter for that class never states bushings or a short throw.

the use of different shifter bushings and a short throw shifter in 14.10 section G (which is the next class up from street) it states you can use any mechanical shifter for that class never states bushings or a short throw.

Since nobody produces the stock bushings, you are nearly forced to buy aftermarket ones. I don't really see shifter bushings bumping you into a different class anyways...

I got a set of stockers for sale... pm if interested. Otherwise I recommend the Energy Suspension bushings for the base. They work pretty well.

Since nobody produces the stock bushings, you are nearly forced to buy aftermarket ones. I don't really see shifter bushings bumping you into a different class anyways...

I got a set of stockers for sale... pm if interested. Otherwise I recommend the Energy Suspension bushings for the base. They work pretty well.

The scca does some weird stuff that bumps you classes, the fact that i have a bumper from a 2gb on mine to the right tech judge could bump me to sm.

Much obliged to you for the vid. Incredible employment! difficult to think with a grip coilovers and cushions and rotors places me in road arranged. Conjecture I have more space to develop.
snaptube vidmate word to pdf

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back