The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G crazy shaking i can't figure out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Ok, well tonight on the way home from Columbus ohio (100 mile drive) something really weird happened..

The left front wheel hydroplaned and all the suden the car shook like crazy, after 20-30 seconds it stopped so I chalked it up to maybe something got in the rim throwing balance off, well each and every time the front wheel hydroplaned after that the EXACT same shaking and vibrating came back, and again disappeared after a minute or so.

When I push the clutch it stops, when I am accelerating it's horribly loud and violent shaking... then on the way home again I made a spirited left arrow turn through an intersection and it did it again..I checked the halfshaft mount and it's tight , the CV doesn't seem loose, and the closest thing ive found that it sounds like is the driveshaft vibration noise in Jafro's driveshaft 101 video.

this one is really driving me nuts, anyone had this happen before? last time I checked the U-joints were OK but I guess I'm going back up under there tomorrow to see what I can find, I just don't get why it comes and goes, especially when that front left wheel hydroplanes

any help would be great, this 1g awd car is starting to drive me nuts with all it's little noises and problems

Last edited:
well, I've crawled underneath and wiggled the u-joints but didn't really feel any play, can they cause this severe of a shaking without noticeable slop?

I think the weirdest part is it only seems to do it when the left front wheel hydroplanes, or has to turn at a different speed than the right front wheel (the tight cornering described in above post), as of right now dueto axle problmes the DSM is my only form of transportation so I gotta keep her upto snuff and on the road

EDIT: went out trying to duplicate it but there wasn't enough water to hydroplane, so I made as many fast sharp eft turns as I could and got nothing.. the only things I found out of whack while checking the car over were that the strut to spindle bolts were a little loose on both sides and that the coil over on the left had spun outwards raising that corner of the car quite a bit. I also lubed the half shaft to outer CV area as it was low on grease... still looking for any input

Last edited:
Wow! does no one even have any guesses or no similar shaking syndromes?

Maybe the water youre plowing through is causing the car to run weird? And youre feeling the difference through the drivetrain? Sounds like the water is causing something. Even if you whip it left, maybe theres residual water sloshing around wherever it is and making the car run weird again. Just a guess

Not saying it's not drivetrain related but I had a car where if you hit a bump at highway speed the steering wheel would start shaking violently. Wouldn't shake at slower speeds. Turned out to be front wheel out of balance.

Are all of your transmission bolts still there? Check all of your ball joints, just a thought.

Yup. Front diff was to blame. I would randomly get vibration while highway cruising. Like it was about to break down or driving on a rocky road. Then it would be smooth.

I would also get swerving when doing pulls and I believe is because all the power might have been going to the rear. One night the car made a clunking noise and as I got home I checked the oil. It was metallic and very low. When I pulled the trans the casing was cracked and the output shaft had major play.

tightened everything, trans halfshaft bracket, shocks, everything. and I have two sets of wheels, does it with both..and only when the front left wheel loses rotational speed from the others, here's a distinct rattle to it as well and after a minute or so it passes.. still baffled,thinking itmust be left front CV joint, because I does click somewhat on a full lock left turn from a driveway

I have a similar problem with my 2g awd, turned out to be a bad front driver side inner cv joint. It started out as violent shaking around 60+ mph and as the problem got worse ,the mph it would shake at got lower and lower.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back