The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Crazy oil cap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janesfam

Proven Member
Jul 9, 2021
Milwaukie, Oregon
My gsx came with this crazy ass oil cap. Never seen on and can’t find them anywhere. As cool as this thing is it isn’t tight and oil leaks past it and onto the valve cover. I’ll be trying to rebuild it to make it functional but has anyone seen an oil cap like this in case I can just buy another one?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That looks like an older HAL breather oil cap. They not made now by him but another member Tony made some similer.

If yours leaks maybe the seal needs to be replaced or the internal retainer arms needs to be bent to make it tighter. Inside the cover

That looks like an older HAL breather oil cap. They not made now by him but another member Tony made some similer.

If yours leaks maybe the seal needs to be replaced or the internal retainer arms needs to be bent to make it tighter. Inside the cover
Thanks dude I’ll be taking it apart in the next day or so and try to fix it. Was wondering if I could buy a replacement or a backup. Does this tony guy still have any for sale?

Where do those two lines connect at the other ends? Does your engine have a PCV vent in the stock location too? (Pass. Side end of the VC, towards the rear corner).
You might ditch this setup, eliminate those hoses, plug wherever the come from, and use a more common cap. Might be, though that you’d also need a new valve cover if it’s also specially modified for that setup. In my 2-3 years of using this forum I can’t say I’ve seen this setup before, so maybe a mod that was popular once, but now folks achieve whatever benefits that thing yeilds, but in a different way. Perhaps someone can explain….

Bought one of those vented oil caps way back when from Hal, never installed it though. Went a different route.

Hal Landry was the original designer. Tony Davis took over. He is local to me. If I recall the cap installs just like stock and has the same possible problems. Needs occasional maintenance, new gasket, bend the bracket every so often

I have one of Hal's and one of Tony's. Almost identical. I did give a hand by looking inside the 1st one I got so I could let Tony know what kind of packing was in my original one.
I have not used mine but I have test fit them both. One needed a little tweaking on the tabs is all and the other was fine. Hal's had a substance like a scotchbrite pad inside for packing.

Hal Landry. Havent heard that name in awhile

My gsx came with this crazy ass oil cap. Never seen on and can’t find them anywhere. As cool as this thing is it isn’t tight and oil leaks past it and onto the valve cover. I’ll be trying to rebuild it to make it functional but has anyone seen an oil cap like this in case I can just buy another one?

We bought one of Tony’s new ones and it works well to evacuate brief crankcase pressure. No doubt that is why your car’s PO installed this. If you remove it, you may discover that the crankcase pressure, under boost, will find new ways to escape.

If it is loose, bend the tabs slightly. If it leaks, use the gasket from an oem oil cap or make your own.

These can get quite warm while the engine is running.

That is one of Hal's caps. I based mine off of his and they are pretty much the same thing. I did recess the bolt and change the outlets to opposing on the dual port.
As stated above, you can bend the arms up slightly to cause it to clamp harder or add a second gasket to achieve the same basic result.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back