The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Crazy "light metal" sounding continuous rubbing after installing transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beast-Mode DSM

Proven Member
Sep 23, 2022
Las vegas, Nevada
So I changed my transmission and as you guys will know you know I took off the axle nuts but before that before I didn't have a 32mm socket I ended I took off the strut bolts that go to the spindle or whatever you would call it. After the transmission install I went to drive it this morning after going through hell with my starter but that's all done but when I went to go drive it I heard a sound like it sounds like a crazy lightweight metal kind of sound like almost like breaks that are really bad really old continuous grinding and I don't know what it is. I really appreciate any advice or insight on my current issue. Thank you much appreciated
David AKA Beast-Mode DSM

Just guessing, since you didn't remove the axles properly, there is a chance that the axle(s) is not installed/inserted properly when you put it back, perhaps stuck by C-clip. And/or driver's side axle boot clamp is contacting the oil pan for some reason.

FWIW I had what sounds like the same thing after I rebuilt and reinstalled my manual trans last year, sort of this slow tinny thin metal plate rubbing sound, as if you spun a sheet metal plate against another piece of metal. I tended to only hear it when disengaging the clutch and slowing down at a light or stop sign. It sounded like something was loose or a disc wasn't true and kept rubbing against something. For all I know it wasn't trans-related, though, maybe a brake dust shield rubbing against a rotor or the like.

Did you put fluid in the trans after you installed it?

It really could be anything. Put the car on jack stands and then put it into first gear then get out and inspect the area for the noise
If it's AWD then all 4 wheels have to be solidly off the ground to do that.

It’s an NT car so we know it’s FWD.
Just making sure in case someone with AWD tries this. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about raising the front axle on my AWD to check the trans while in gear then caught myself before actually doing it, since our other cars are FWD. It's a natural instinct that has to be checked.

Just making sure in case someone with AWD tries this. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about raising the front axle on my AWD to check the trans while in gear then caught myself before actually doing it, since our other cars are FWD. It's a natural instinct that has to be checked.
Good call! Definitely gotta think it thru.

If it's AWD then all 4 wheels have to be solidly off the ground to do that.
Yeah that's why I didnt specify just the fronts.

Also its really dangerous to be under and around the car with the wheels moving. So if you have long hair use extreme caution, use extreme caution in general when you look under the car or are around the whees and tires while they are moving

Good call! Definitely gotta think it thru.
Heh, I've gotten to the point where I'm scared to even THINK about doing something let alone actually doing it, because when something "breaks" in my thoughts, it's like it actually broke for real and can't ever be fixed. A bit over the top but that's me.

Yeah that's why I didnt specify just the fronts.

Also its really dangerous to be under and around the car with the wheels moving. So if you have long hair use extreme caution, use extreme caution in general when you look under the car or are around the whees and tires while they are moving
Excellent advice. All it takes is for one of the 4 jack stands to slip or for your hair or loose clothing to get caught and you're going to be in a world of hurt real fast. Many years ago a distant relative of mine had their neck snapped by a piece of moving machinery that caught their hair, and they were killed instantly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back