The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Crashed my car, fix my radiator support

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I slid my car into a ditch, hit rocks,
here's whats wronge, front bumper,
Radiator support or whatever it is, is bent in one side,
sidemount, well have a MKIV supra one ready
just clipped the bottom of my left head light.

how can I fix the radiator support, can a buy a new one or is it on the frame welded??, havne't really looked,,

What is the difference between a bumper cover and a bumper??

The bumper is the metal pieces that goes behind the bumpercover. The bumper is the support of the bumper cover. The bumper cover is the front end pieces.

does this bumber like a metal u, that holds the radiator on it
cause I messed that up a bit too, thinking about just banging it straight with a hammer.

You can probally bend that piece, im not exactly sure what the piece is:
Here is a picture of the bumper and the bumper cover. Props to GSXTCY for the pics.

Attachments

• 1739fmic.jpg
    1739fmic.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 373
heres the bumper cover:

Attachments

• 1739snow_fmic.jpg
    1739snow_fmic.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 261
well I messed up the bumper cover I know, but I bent a peice of metal, to the left of the endtank in the first picture, just above the ic pipe. What is that, cause it's bent it alonge with the bumper cover beeing smashed on that side. PLus my radiator isn't straight anymore :(

Ok, so you're radiator isn't straight anymore. Meaning, time for a new radiator.

More important is the supports that are bent. Last year when my friend rear-ended someone in his '92 Laser, it pushed back the top support in front of the radiator, along with the hood, headlights, etc. But what they did was they pulled the radiator (and had to trash it) and got the tractor with the loader out. The pulled up to the front of the car and latched a chain to the bucket and the top support. Very slowly, and gently, they rotated the bumper, causing the support to pull back out, one person worked the tracter controls, while the other tapped the bent support corners with a hammer, ever so gently. They slowed went through that process until they reached the right point, and carefully released the tension on the chain. The support fell back into place.

Depending on the degree of frame damage, keep this tactic in mind.

couldn't I just buy a new radiator support/ cradle, I haven';t pulled off the bumper still driving it, it's like 170. how does it mount to the frame, I can't find any diagrams in the chiltons.

Well, from just going off of what damage you have mentioned, and without the aid of pictures, it's hard to say if you could just buy the new piece or not, or even if you can buy the support piece. Without pictures of the trouble area it's hard to comment on it

I posted pics in another post, but here are new ones with bumper off, good damn broke like 10 bolts getting it off, but here they are.

Attachments

• dsc00006.jpg
    dsc00006.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 266
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back