The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

CRAracer05 ~ 94 Talon TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got the 535 pump installed last night, along with all new vacuum lines. Getting close now, but I'm trying to decide if I want to port my oil filter housing as I see over 100psi on cold starts and 90ish psi under boost.

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (8).jpg

Make sure you're using submersible fuel line that can handle e85. If that's just regular ole fuel line then it will degrade pretty quickly sitting in the tank.
That's what I was looking for but all the local auto parts stores just had fuel injection hose that didn't specify. I checked the part number on the receipt and the hose is E85 compatible but is not rated to be submersed so looks like I'm going to be changing it. The little accordion style hose that came with the pump was just too long unless I cut the factory tube off right at top. Wonder if anyone local sells the right hose.

Well quick update, I got the car running tonight. Had a fuel leak on the return side of the rail that turned out to be a bad o-ring but I got that fixed pretty quickly. To my surprise I didn't have a single coolant or oil leak with all the new lines I put on. Car seemed to be idling fairly well on the base map. I did hear some whistling coming from the throttle body area when giving it some light throttle position. I'm hoping its not the crappy seal issue everyone complains about but I will find out when I do my boost leak test next.

Got the catch can installed as well as the new overflow tank.
unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

For sure the s90. That thing is going rip when you get it dialed in.
Made a new bigger boost leak tester today. Well so far to my surprise the S90 shaft seals are not leaking. What is leaking are the (4) bolts holding it onto the Magnus adapter plate as they go straight through to the intake manifold. Both caps on the wastegate are leaking, and so is the AFPR top set screw (although minor).

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

Made a new bigger boost leak tester today. Well so far to my surprise the S90 shaft seals are not leaking. What is leaking are the (4) bolts holding it onto the Magnus adapter plate as they go straight through to the intake manifold. Both caps on the wastegate are leaking, and so is the AFPR top set screw (although minor).

View attachment 641119 View attachment 641120

View attachment 641121
Sealed up the throttle body bolts with motoseal on the shoulders and thread sealant on the threads. I also indexed and backed the AFPR screw out and put a smidge of thread sealant on it and ran it back in. So those should be ready to retest tomorrow. The wastegate I just snugged the plugs up and they are good to go now. The IAT bung I'm taking to work tomorrow to get welded again as that ended up being the worst leak.

So I booked a dyno appointment on 10/12 at TPG. Right now I'm just trying to get the car to idle in closed loop at around 14.7:1. before I take it in to make sure everything is good.

Log 1 - letting car warm up on base map (narrowband sim on)
Log 2 - Should be same but more global fuel (narrowband sim on)
I did notice the TPS throttle position bouncing with idle which I though was odd
Log 3 - warm with narrowband sim off (O2 starting at 0V instead on 0.2V)
Log 4 - narrow band sim back on (looks like O2 cycling again but no closed loop)

I have my AEM wideband in the O2 housing and the stock O2 sensor in the downpipe, not sure it matters unless the factory O2 needs more heat in it.
Intake manifold and head are grounded to the chassis.

If you guys look at and give any tips that would be great, I'm not the most fluent with Tuning.

1) You dont have any of your pin assignments setup. You need to add iat, map and wideband to pins, save then capture those values.
2) Zero out any and all MAF adjustments
3) Your BISS needs to be adjusted down to an isc of 30ish. https://www.sixsigmatuning.com/dsm-idle-control
Everything else looks fine for now
1) I thought had my pin assignments setup already, maybe I didn't save or over wrote it by mistake I'll redo it
2) Ok that's probably from the old tune still I'll zero it out with the GM MAF
3) I haven't messed with the BISS yet on the S90, it's in the factory position. I did see a small boost leak at the ISC when testing once I sealed up my big leaks. I have a new O-ring showing up from ExtremePsi tomorrow. Probably isn't worth setting it until I change the O-ring.

Any thought on simulating the narrowband O2?

Ok I was able to squeeze in more go at it before it got too late to run the car.
I assigned all the pins and zeroed out the MAF adjustments.
I started backing out the BISS screw 1/4 turn at a time until I hit this log and started to get surge.

Attachments

• log.2021.10.03-08 lower isc but surge.elg
    112.8 KB · Views: 21
Second attempt another 1/4 turn out surge got worse. Its showing full throttle and TPS volts and nothing is moving. There is plenty of slack on the cable too.

Attachments

• log.2021.10.03-08 lower isc but surge 2.elg
    65.4 KB · Views: 27
1) Pin assignments are good now
2) Narrowband sim looks good
3) TPS still needs to be adjusted but if it's going 100% when you're not doing anything I would suspect a wiring issue. Maybe the 5v source is grounding out somewhere? I've never seen this.
4) Increase your coastfc offset to 100 or so
5) Disable maf compensation with speed density

1) Pin assignments are good now
2) Narrowband sim looks good
3) TPS still needs to be adjusted but if it's going 100% when you're not doing anything I would suspect a wiring issue. Maybe the 5v source is grounding out somewhere? I've never seen this.
4) Increase your coastfc offset to 100 or so
5) Disable maf compensation with speed density
3) I adjusted TPS and it was good, but when the surge happens it looks like the TPS is just going to 5V on its own and the ECU thinks its at 100% throttle. I think I have some spare TPS sensors in my attic I might try. I'm assuming at this point that is what is causing the surge.
4) Doing some reading on coastfc, this sounds like it would have helped me before the turbo swap as it would only surge once warm and coming to stop and target idle is at 950rpm
5)ok I will get that too

Thanks for all the help

You've got something weird going on that's beyond my understanding. Remember that ecmlink's suggestion on how to use coasting fc offset is a rule-of-thumb. You can increase or decrease to your setup's needs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back