The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

CrankWalk Poll [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHKS

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2002
east_providence_ri
im starting this forum like a poll. i want to know (and sure others too) how many of you tuners have actually gotten crank walk on there 2g and wanna hear all the people that havent. please just leave a reply if u have gotten it or not. thanx-greatly appreciated

just wanna see how common everyone makes it seem

108000 Miles, and no Crank Walk to speak of....:thumb:

Attachments

• talon95.jpg
    talon95.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 4,472
97 talon tsi FWD
just had the warranty company fix it with 98000 miles
replaced crank and bearings

really?? how did u still have warranty cover w/ that many miles??

about 112,xxx miles.... and i cannot confirm, or deny

(if i dont get it verified, then that means it's not Walking, hehe)... i've had 3 clutches in 2 years (no, i dont ride the clutch :p)

i about a week and a half, i'll have a 6bolt in there, so i guess "the world will never know"

People have been asking me about crankwalk alot again so here are the numbers I have... I'll say this again here so I don't get a bunch more requests ;)

I can't send any names or Email addresses due to privacy issues, But I can give you some rough numbers I got from the stats supplied..

Of the 1800+ cases I have received:
(updated 10-10-2002)

50% were "1997 Turbo DSMs" *

17% were "1996 Turbo DSMs" *

9% were "1995 Turbo DSMs" *

12% were "1998 Turbo DSMs" *

11% were "1999 Turbo DSMs" *

1% were "1994 or older 1g Turbo DSMs" (most of these had over 100,000 miles and were moderately to heavily modded **.)

1% were "Other" Non Eclipse/Talon/Laser vehicles with 4G63 turbo motors. (IE Galant VR4s, or Transplant cars, most of these had over 100,000 miles and were moderately to heavily modded **. )

To narrow this down even further:

85% were Manual Transmissions.

15% were Automatic Transmissions.

a couple other interesting notes:

The Milage on crankwalking cars ranged from 1,200 to well over 100,000 (the average landing right around 50,000 miles)

About 60% of the entire number of cars was Moderately to Heavily modded ** with the remaining 40% being Stock to Mildly modded **

98% of the people that I talked to that fixed their cars using NEW 2g parts (weather it was a new crank and bearings OR a new short block) had their NEW motors crankwalk again!! Most before 24,000 more miles.

2% have not had problems again (yet)...

.5% of the people that I taked to that fixed their cars with a 1g/Jspec motor swap had cankwalk return.

* NOTE: There was no real difference in AWD vs FWD and or Eclipse vs Talon, all of them seem to have equal opportunity to get Crankwalk.

** NOTE: In regard to these lists of stats the following applies:
Stock = Stock, No known mods.

Mildly modded = Air filter/intake, exhaust, UIC pipe/BOV

Moderately Modded = any of the above + Fuel system upgrades, mild Turbo upgrade (up to big 16G), other power adders, ACT 2100 lb clutch

Heavily Modded = any of the above + NOS, 335+ HP, Turbo larger than big16G, CM 2400 or ACT 2600 clutch any other Motor/Drive train altering Mod.

So there you have the numbers that I have come up with, If you think they are in error I encourage you to gather up 1800+ crankwalk cases and information and sift through it and come up with some better numbers ;)

Check out these links, there is alot of info there....

AOL "Crank Walk" search 1

AOL "Crankwalk" search 2

www.nx2k.com/eclipse/crank_walk.htm

www.angelfire.com/pa4/crankwalk/

www.magnusmotorsports.com/crankwalktheory.htm

www.roadraceengineering.com/walkingcrankshaft.htm

www.atra-gears.com/crankshaft/

home.naxs.com/murphree/crank_walk.htm

www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_16197.html

www.carsurvey.org/review_27315.html

membersites.namezero.com/jogauthi.nmu.edu/gi/1gvs2g.htm

pub31.ezboard.com/fmidsouthsrfrm25.showMessage?topicID=174.topic

www.atmosphereperformance.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1579&highlight=Crankwalk

Hope those links help, there are plenty there... Remember these Were just simple AOL searches using "crank walk" and Crankwalk" as key words... search using AJ.com, Excite.com, Google.com, MSN.com or any other search engine and you'll find a TON of sites! (this is why I think it is funny that some people still fail to see how big Crankwalk really is!! I guess "ignorance is bliss" right?? :( or not...)

Originally posted by white95gst

% of cars (dsm's) produced that fell victim to c/w???
I don't really know, however after talking to 15 different Mitsubishi technicians in 13 different states I am convinced that it is a large percentage... Here are a few very common quotes from those technicians

"I have never checked a 2g crank that was newer than mid 1995 that did not have excessive endplay"

"I would venture to say that over 75% of all late 2g cranks will walk"

"I have been a Tech for 15 years and I see 4 to 5 new cases of crankwalk every day and I have since mid 1997"

"At any given time you can come to the shop and we will have 8-10 cars there that have Crankwalk..."

I heard similar comments from EVERY one of the 15 techs I talked to Plus the 1800 people I talked to, so I am not a big fan of the late 2G 4g63

I am willing to bet anyone who owns a DSM built mid 1995 or later with 25,000 or more miles on it, that if we have their car checked for excessive endplay or (crankwalk) that they WILL have it... I will put money on this as I believe that every Late 95-99 DSM has Crankwalk in SOME stage...

After you collect 1800+ case histories and look at as many cars and talk to as many people as I have, then we'll talk about your theories and proof ;) BTW my car walked once at completely stock 50,000 miles and is showing tell tale signs again... 1997 GSX w 73,000 miles on it. :dsm: :thumb:

add me to the list

93 GSX with 90K miles 7-bolt motor. Can was BONE stock for 75K of those miles and MILD MODS after that.

replaced bearings and we'll see how long it last

nevermind my other post, i cant beleive i forgot about this, but a little over a year ago, i had to get the bearings replaced, and the crankshaft machined(now i know better)....

so yes for me @ right below 100K miles

how about the crco dowell kit. what do u guys think? any crank cases yat W/ these?

Originally posted by ChrisHKS
how about the crco dowell kit. what do u guys think? any crank cases yat W/ these?
I haven't seen any yet, but I would say this, if you HAVE to rebuild a 7 bolt motor (you have NO OTHER CHOICE) then get this kit.. I know and trust Quinn Whipple from my NW-DSM group and he has done some research into this product so I would trust that it is a quality product, HOWEVER he will be the first person to tell you CRCO does NOT claim that this product STOPS crankwalk or fixes crankwalk...

k guys, so far thats 3 crank walks and 10 non-walkers the 2g's.

thats 23% CW and 77% NON-CW!!

Keep em comin guys! i know theres more 2gs out there!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back