The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Crankshaft will not rotate so i can set timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talondude94

Probationary Member
Dec 21, 2006
Plainwell, Michigan
My crankshaft wont turn so i can set my timing. I have removed all of the spark plugs and i still can't rotate it.

The side of the engine is disassembled. the only thing on is the secondary timing belt.

The engine is in the car unfortunatly, the furthest in ive gotten is to the timing belt which i have removed i havent gone any further than that. the problem is i cant get the timing mark on the crankshaft to line up with the one on the block.

I know this sound stupid , but is the car in gear? When doing a timing job it s best to line the mars up before you pull the belt. The g63 is an interfirence motor, meaning the valves and the pistons occupy the same space sometimes. Will it rotate back a little bit? if so you are probably hitting a valve. Try moving the cams and see if that helps.

I asked a guy on a seperate question if it was an interferance engine and he didnt know. so i guess im going to pull the head and rebuild it again and then set the timing before i put it back on

could a valve break off and be sitting on top of my piston... if so does any body know a site i could order high performance valves for a non turbo

You could have kissed the valves but before you go overboard remove the cam caps and relive the pressure off the valve train to close the valves set all your lower timing marks and get your uppers close reinstall your cam caps and retourqe them (15ft lbs.) and install your timing belt. (as per directions) Thats sure a lot cheeper than pulling the head. If it works you are one step up if not your pulling the head anyway.

Its too late this set of pistons and the head. i sent four valves through two of my pistons im going to rebuild but i cant find anybody that sells non turbo valves.

Does anybody have a place i can get some???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back