The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Car won't start, Ignition?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowa95

Probationary Member
Jan 7, 2023
PERU, Indiana
Hey yall, so my car won't star and I think it is the ignition, and I don't have a clue on what's wrong. It gets fuel and I'm guessing it gets air. It has the 2.0l non turbo, any help would be amazing.

I unhooked the fuel line and then turned the key after putting fresh fuel in it after the tank was drained. For spark after I replace the plug cables I took out cylinder ones plug and held it against the block while someone cranked the motor and the plug had no spark.

I unhooked the fuel line and then turned the key after putting fresh fuel in it after the tank was drained. For spark after I replace the plug cables I took out cylinder ones plug and held it against the block while someone cranked the motor and the plug had no spark.
Well you at least need to check and see if fuel pump circuit works. I bet it doesn't given how long car has been sitting. Go through the no start post. Ask questions as necessary. You may have multiple problems. Eliminate them one at a time.

Last edited:
So far I changed the fuel pump and now it's got fuel, I was wondering what this does tho?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I changed the pump, I'm sorry for using abbreviations, i don't know about the ecu.

I changed the pump, I'm sorry for using abbreviations, i don't know about the ecu.
Does your check engine flash when you turn the key to on?

Verify spark 1st after that

If ECU flashes and you have spark, verify you are getting fuel at the rail and injectors.

Others may disagree but I will sometimes verify fuel issues by shooting a bit of starter fluid into the intake, if it fires or tries to fire, you have spark and no fuel.

I have fuel to the injectors, but I don't have spark. I know this because I took out one of the spark plugs and grounded it to the block while someone cranked the car.

The Power Transistor controls the current that charges the coils to fire the plug. It's on the ground side of the circuit (battery voltage goes to the coil and the PTU in turn grounds the other side of the coil). When the transistor switches off the coil fires and the time between the transistor turning on and off is called the dwell.

BTW that PTU connector is broken and you need a replacement.

Thanks, can you get me a link to buy a new one that is kinda cheap? Also Thanks to everyone that is helping me in this adventure.

Hey yall, so my car won't star and I think it is the ignition, and I don't have a clue on what's wrong. It gets fuel and I'm guessing it gets air. It has the 2.0l non turbo, any help would be amazing.
I just had an issue similar on my 2g, I went through almost the entire ignition system and was scratching my head. Ended up being a loose connection on the starter, the connection that goes from the solenoid to the starter itself. Some how the nut holding on that connection came loose, just cleaned it up and tightened it back down, was good to go after that.

Thanks, can you get me a link to buy a new one that is kinda cheap? Also Thanks to everyone that is helping me in this adventure.
It's the same as a 2G MAF Connector. You would unpin the old and put the wires into the new connector rather than cutting anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back