The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Car won't start, Ignition?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowa95

Probationary Member
Jan 7, 2023
PERU, Indiana
Hey yall, so my car won't star and I think it is the ignition, and I don't have a clue on what's wrong. It gets fuel and I'm guessing it gets air. It has the 2.0l non turbo, any help would be amazing.

I
Hey yall, so my car won't star and I think it is the ignition, and I don't have a clue on what's wrong. It gets fuel and I'm guessing it gets air. It has the 2.0l non turbo, any help would be amazing.
IF yoUre sure it gets fuel AND AIR... check your spark

Yes I have them but need to put them on, also was wondering if there was a chip that controls the ignition?

Exactly what car do you have? I get that it's a 2.0l non turbo but what year and model?

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, 2.0l non turbo, 5 speed manual. Been sitting since at least 2011, plate I think says 09 or 10

You have a lot more work to do. Does the check engine engine light come on with key on then go off in 5 sec?
Pull the plugs and smell them. If they don't smell like fuel then you don't have any. This does not mean your pump isn't working. It just means you have no fuel in the cylinder. Tell us what you find. Actually, you're sure all the timing belt items are intact? The car has compression?

You have a lot more work to do. Does the check engine engine light come on with key on then go off in 5 sec?
Pull the plugs and smell them. If they don't smell like fuel then you don't have any. This does not mean your pump isn't working. It just means you have no fuel in the cylinder. Tell us what you find. Actually, you're sure all the timing belt items are intact? The car has compression?
Ngl, idk about compression and I did make sure the timing stuff is intact and it don't make any wierd noise when cranking

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, 2.0l non turbo, 5 speed manual.

Ok, ignore any references to the 420A as you browse the site, you have a 4G63.

Paul asks a key question, "Does the check engine engine light come on with key on then go off in 5 sec?". This tells us if the ECU is functioning which is a requirement for anything interesting to happen.

1992 mitubishi eclipse gs, 2.0l non turbo, 5 speed manuel. Been sitting since at least 2011, plate I think says 09 or 10
This changes what I said about 420a.

Like steve says make sure ECU is working. Do all your maintenance items. Then you can look at fuel and spark.

Sitting that long you can have lots of little stuff going on that add up especially in your fuel system.

Hey guys, I was wondering where the crankshaft sensor is located and if it could cause my car not to have spark or fuel?

I have replaced the cam sensor, spark plug cables, the spark plugs. That is all

In a 1G 4G63 NA like with the Turbo 4G63's you have a CAS that provides both the Crank and Cam positions to the ECU.

The most typical cause of no spark or fuel is that the ECU isn't working.
What diagnosis have you done that pointed at any of the parts you have changed?

Do any of this?

Last edited:
I would start with post two. Check ecu first. Did check engine light up? Will take just a min for you to check and report back. I would not put any more new parts on the car without diagnosis.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back