The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Crankshaft pulley moves at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heryst78

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2017
Paris, Europe
Hello everyone

I come to you because, for months, my eclipse makes a belt noise at startup only, and when I accelerate between 1000 and 1500 rpm.
I just noticed that this is my crankshaft pulley.
To describe what is happening, it seems to turn as if the pulley itself was deformed, and so it causes a noise because the belt does not rotate perfectly.
When I accelerate a little, the crankshaft pulley goes straight and it makes no noise.

I'm scared of the Crankwalk, can someone tell me if there have ever been deformed crankshaft pulley subjects?

Thank you

I would stop driving it immediately. It sounds like your crank pulley is starting to separate. There is a rubber ring inside of the pulley and it’s most likely deteriorating. If it fully separates, it’s not gonna be pretty. Here’s where to look

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hi and thank you for your answer !

I know that behind my crankshaft pulley, it is already missing pieces of metal, it looks like it is already broken in fact.
I have not seen an apparent crack, but (I do not know if you understand me because I'm French and I use google translation to write to you), at idle, it runs correctly except it looks like it deviates from its trajectory, a bit like a top that loses its speed, you see what I mean?
When I accelerate, the pulley no longer quote its trajectory.

Thank you :)

I know that behind my crankshaft pulley, it is already missing pieces of metal, it looks like it is already broken in fact.
I have not seen an apparent crack, but (I do not know if you understand me because I'm French and I use google translation to write to you), at idle, it runs correctly except it looks like it deviates from its trajectory, a bit like a top that loses its speed, you see what I mean?

It's a pretty good guess your crank pulley is bad and you should replace it. Take it off and inspect it. If it's that bad its probably ready to separate and may even fall apart on your hands. It is a common failure.

Such a common problem and a quick fix if you catch it in time.
I would not drive at all until it’s changed
GOOD LUCK

C R A N K W A L K ! ! ! l o l jk. Yea change your pulley ASAP. The rubber bushing inside the pulley itself wears out. Remember, these cars are old as hell now. Parts age, rubber ages.

Hi guys,

After disassembly of the pulley, indeed, she is dead :)
I put you some pictures, and indeed, the rubber bushing is dead, I put you a video on Youtube so that you can see what it does LOL

I ask Miller to send me one in France, because the import tax on new products is very very very expensive! :)

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    571.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi guys,

After disassembly of the pulley, indeed, she is dead :)
I put you some pictures, and indeed, the rubber bushing is dead, I put you a video on Youtube so that you can see what it does LOL

I ask Miller to send me one in France, because the import tax on new products is very very very expensive! :)

Thanks again :)
You were lucky. That outer ring has been known to go inward and take out the timing belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back