1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Crankshaft pulley moves at idle

Posted by Heryst78, Oct 17, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. Heryst78

Heryst78 Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2017
    Paris, Europe
    Hello everyone

I come to you because, for months, my eclipse makes a belt noise at startup only, and when I accelerate between 1000 and 1500 rpm.
    I just noticed that this is my crankshaft pulley.
    To describe what is happening, it seems to turn as if the pulley itself was deformed, and so it causes a noise because the belt does not rotate perfectly.
    When I accelerate a little, the crankshaft pulley goes straight and it makes no noise.

I'm scared of the Crankwalk, can someone tell me if there have ever been deformed crankshaft pulley subjects?

Thank you

2. 007jimmy

007jimmy Proven Member

Joined Feb 27, 2012
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    I would stop driving it immediately. It sounds like your crank pulley is starting to separate. There is a rubber ring inside of the pulley and it’s most likely deteriorating. If it fully separates, it’s not gonna be pretty. Here’s where to look

B4925FE0-1855-41B8-AB0C-120AF0AE04D9.jpeg

Street Build 1K  25

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. Heryst78

Heryst78 Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2017
    Paris, Europe
    Hi and thank you for your answer !

I know that behind my crankshaft pulley, it is already missing pieces of metal, it looks like it is already broken in fact.
    I have not seen an apparent crack, but (I do not know if you understand me because I'm French and I use google translation to write to you), at idle, it runs correctly except it looks like it deviates from its trajectory, a bit like a top that loses its speed, you see what I mean?
    When I accelerate, the pulley no longer quote its trajectory.

Thank you :)

4. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    It's a pretty good guess your crank pulley is bad and you should replace it. Take it off and inspect it. If it's that bad its probably ready to separate and may even fall apart on your hands. It is a common failure.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    silvreclips likes this.
  5. THEIFNDNIGHT

THEIFNDNIGHT Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2011
    NY, New York
    Such a common problem and a quick fix if you catch it in time.
    I would not drive at all until it’s changed
    GOOD LUCK

Street Build 5K  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. streetraceboi

streetraceboi Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    C R A N K W A L K ! ! ! l o l jk. Yea change your pulley ASAP. The rubber bushing inside the pulley itself wears out. Remember, these cars are old as hell now. Parts age, rubber ages.

7. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    if funds will allow id sugest getting a fluidampr unit so you dont have to deal with this issue anymore.

Drag Race Build 2K  17

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.89 @ 125.67 · 1G DSM
  8. Heryst78

Heryst78 Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2017
    Paris, Europe
    Hi guys,

After disassembly of the pulley, indeed, she is dead :)
    I put you some pictures, and indeed, the rubber bushing is dead, I put you a video on Youtube so that you can see what it does LOL

I ask Miller to send me one in France, because the import tax on new products is very very very expensive! :)

Thanks again :)

Attached Files:

9. rEclipserGST

rEclipserGST Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Glad you found that before it ruined your engine.

Street Build 789  25

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    187 whp · 200 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  10. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    You were lucky. That outer ring has been known to go inward and take out the timing belt.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM