The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Cranks, runs then dies...in 13yrs ive never been this baffled. Need some help. Logs included

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getusum

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2006
birmingham, Alabama
Wife and I drove about 2 hours to cars and coffee then was heading home ( got gas ) when the car just died like it was out of fuel....It'll crank up for a moment then die. If it sits for a while it'll crank and run for a few min then die..trailered it home, Replaced fuel lines, and new fuel filter (fuellab) with new. Even pulled the fuel rail to check it. All clean. No check engine light. IDK. I added another ground to the battery, even rewired the pumps with 10g and added another ground. Im lost. Any experience on this? All this while still getting 43psi to the FPR.

Cranking, running a few then died.

Attachments

• log.2021.09.07-02.elg
    36.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
1) You're not running an IAT which isn't a great idea with SD
2) You're not logging your MAP sensor which is a bad idea because you have the most unreliable map sensor money can buy.
3) Car is running very rich in the log.
4) I don't see any other glaring issues so capture your map sensor and take another log.

1) You're not running an IAT which isn't a great idea with SD
2) You're not logging your MAP sensor which is a bad idea because you have the most unreliable map sensor money can buy.
3) Car is running very rich in the log.
4) I don't see any other glaring issues so capture your map sensor and take another log.
Doing it now. Thanks for the help!

Check the coolant temp sensor also.

Make sure it is hooked up, coolant up to level and ohm it out to check it for sure.

Now it'll just crank for a sec and die. I added Baro to displayed values? Coolant is good, no leaks all new. i thought i was logging Intake air temp...

Here's a log when it ran good, I ran 100 octane and it got rich, but other than that any issues here?

Attachments

• log.2021.09.07-03.elg
    19 KB · Views: 12
  • log.2021.07.28-01.elg
    23.8 KB · Views: 13
Now it'll just crank for a sec and die. I added Baro to displayed values? Coolant is good, no leaks all new. i thought i was logging Intake air temp...
Hmm, there wasn't an Omni to capture? I guess it's baro? Also, you're logging air temp but you no longer run a maf so you're logging something that doesn't exist. Name your map/baro input "boost", save the assignment and see if you can capture "boost" so we can make sure it's correct.

Hmm, there wasn't an Omni to capture? I guess it's baro? Also, you're logging air temp but you no longer run a maf so you're logging something that doesn't exist. Name your map/baro input "boost", save the assignment and see if you can capture "boost" so we can make sure it's correct.
Will do

Definitely need to log MAP sensor. When my MAP sensor died it did exactly what you are describing. I emailed OMNI and sent them my receipt (sensor was only 1 year old) and they replaced it for me for free.
What’s a good map sensor to use? I’ll buy one right now.

What’s a good map sensor to use? I’ll buy one right now.
I would just get it to log properly first so you can verify that it is even the issue.

I have an omni still that has been going good for a few years but I also relocated it to the firewall with the adapter. Seems to make them last much longer. AEM is a good one that a lot of people run though.

Hey I appreciate you guys helping out!

I would just get it to log properly first so you can verify that it is even the issue.

I have an omni still that has been going good for a few years but I also relocated it to the firewall with the adapter. Seems to make them last much longer. AEM is a good one that a lot of people run though.
Mine too, although I did have to replace one just FYI.

Made the changes in dsmlink, here's the new log. Its cool out and the car sat all day so it cranked and ran until i cut it off. What's a healthy or good reading from the MAP?

Attachments

• Updated MAP to MDR pin.elg
    80.7 KB · Views: 32
I see something in that last log that I would sure like to know how it happens. It's a huge spike in InjOn at 4.377 seconds during cranking. The engine fires and starts running immediately after that. How do you get that huge spike? I don't think mine ever does that, and mine is a little slow cold starting.

I think the Omni readings in this log look ok. It's just start and idle though.

As mentioned already the map appears to working fine. Your wideband is showing some bizarre behavior. I would re-calibrate it. I would also simulate your idle switch as it being tripped at idle for some reason. I would also install an IAT sensor.

As mentioned already the map appears to working fine. Your wideband is showing some bizarre behavior. I would re-calibrate it. I would also simulate your idle switch as it being tripped at idle for some reason. I would also install an IAT
I have the IAT installed, on the lower intercooler piping. Do I have it captured wrong? About to go drive the car “far as it’ll go” and get a new log.

My wide band did turn orange with the VP Matitive. Along with the copper ngks, I put in new ngk iridiums.

I have the IAT installed, on the lower intercooler piping. Do I have it captured wrong? About to go drive the car “far as it’ll go” and get a new log.

I'm at work so I can't check your log, but if it's wired correctly, then you're just not capturing it and displaying it correctly. Should be wired to pin 72 on the 2g ecu. Post 21, you see GMIAT, but no value next to it.

I see something in that last log that I would sure like to know how it happens. It's a huge spike in InjOn at 4.377 seconds during cranking. The engine fires and starts running immediately after that. How do you get that huge spike? I don't think mine ever does that, and mine is a little slow cold starting.

I think the Omni readings in this log look ok. It's just start and idle though.
Would the hot start feature make that happen?

Well its hot outside and it wont stay running. Last night it cranked and actually drove a bit. The heat has something to do with it. Something is grounding out??

Here’s a video

Your injduty drops to zero, then it stalls. I'd log ecuboost to make sure map and ecuboost reads the same.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Just logged ecuboost car would only run for a moment but here it is.
As mentioned already the map appears to working fine. Your wideband is showing some bizarre behavior. I would re-calibrate it. I would also simulate your idle switch as it being tripped at idle for some reason. I would also install an IAT sensor.
I have one on the lower intercooler pipe. IntTemp on link shows 77degrees which is right.

Logging EcuBoost

Attachments

• log.2021.09.08-03.elg
    21.2 KB · Views: 20
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back