The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Cranks but wont start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So my car was running fine for months now. I parked it outside and got to be 30 degrees out. The car sat for 2 nights. Meanwhile all winter parked in a 50 degree garage, it started once a week. Now I go to start it and it will crank and wont fire up. Normally I have hard starts but never like this. I confirmed I have spark on all 4. Put new plugs in. Confirmed my injectors are working electrically and mechanically. I verified my o2 sensor didn't fail. It reach full rich and full lean during testing. Cleaned fuel filter. Drained all gas and put in fresh gas. I can keep it running but my o2 reads full lean. I tried giving more fuel and taking away fuel in link without change. Tried additives in fuel like seafoam and injector cleaner and heet. No change. Drained that gas out and put in fresh gas without change. This was done with e85 and half and half. Nothing has changed in the car. No CEL. Everything in Link checks out. I have no FIAV but hasnt ever been a issue. I verified timing as well. Injectors are less than a year old.

There has to be something I am missing. The car will not run at all. I tried everything that I can think of. Oil pressure is good. Same with compression. Its almost like spark isn't sparky enough LOL. I have driven the car the day before parking overnight. This is the weirdest issue I have ever had on this car and I am no newbie to these. I have cleaned my injectors per FIC website.

That POS Omni map sensor is not working. Don't ever buy these things people.

Also, your tps is 2% at idle and disrupting your idle switch.
I actually noticed that after I updloaded it. I fixed the TPS. Still no change. You mentioned my map sensor. But omni bar and ECUboost match? If ecuboost was moving around and the map not move, I would say its broke. But since they match, that means its good right? Maybe I am missing something?

I actually noticed that after I updloaded it. I fixed the TPS. Still no change. You mentioned my map sensor. But omni bar and ECUboost match? If ecuboost was moving around and the map not move, I would say its broke. But since they match, that means its good right? Maybe I am missing something?
@Vegas Smith meant The MAP sensor is physically broken or maybe disconnected, because the ECU is always receiving only 0v from the MAP sensor. That's why it doesn't start up.

@Vegas Smith meant The MAP sensor is physically broken or maybe disconnected, because the ECU is always receiving only 0v from the MAP sensor. That's why it doesn't start up.
I'll double check. Do these things really just go bad randomly like this? Are you looking at raw volts? Would it be the cold that caused it to go bad?

So my first issue was the map sensor being bad. But the second thing I found is that the starter stud was loose. Which was causing hard starts as well. I tightened that stud and put my power wire back on as well as a new map. The car is now running well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back