The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crankcase pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kongo

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2009
new orleans, Louisiana
I need help. A while back I blow out the gasket for the oil filter. I didn't pay it much mind sense I just did an oil change, thought I just diddnt tight it good enough:ohdamn:. As time went on I notice ever time I open the hood the dip stick was sticking out:confused:. Time went on the gasket didn't blow off but ever time I popped the hood the dip stick would be pockin out. Now the oil feed setup is starting to leak again for the 3rd time.(this were the stock oil light sensor is ,but now hold the sensor for oil gauge, turbo oil feed, and the stock oil pressure switch). What now have me nervus is when I get around 8psi the oil pressure gauage goes dead 0. An if I look under the car theirs a new oil puddle one at the oil sending unit and one at the oil filter. Did a compression test 1,2,3,4,-174,174,174,175. Now I know the crank isn't suppose th see boost but I do have a check valve going from the manifold to the valve cover like stock. An the other going to the catch can.

Can the check valve be the problem? Or should both of my valve cover brether tubes go to the catch can? Or could it something more? Profile uptodate, motor 3 years old and mite have 3000 miles on it. Its not a daily.

Last edited:
The catch cans are to catch any blow-by oil. Having a can isn't going to change anything unless you're getting oil into the intake. Pull the PCV and blow into it and make sure it only goes in one direction. It's only a $3 part, I'd replace it anyways. Never hurts.

As far as your leaks... fix them.

Gauge going to 0... don't know about that. Obviously if your motor was starving oil, it'd be toast by now. Check all your connections to the gauge/sender and make sure it's all tight.

Dip sticks do on occasion pop out. There's many threads on here on how to stop it from doing that. Some are done with springs, other just bend the tubing.

:hmm: well thank god im not crazy. i havent had any oil psi problem, but my dipstick would occasionally pop out after high boost. but i finally got smart and cripmed the tube a tad. However i defiantly need a catch can, bc i get oil spatter out of the tubes coming off my valve cover after high boost.

You have excessive crankcase pressure. Bottom line. You need to get a new oil filter, first off. Why would you keep a defective filter on?

Second off, get rid of the check valves, that's what the catch can is for. What's the point of keeping it from going back into the system if that's where it's coming from. It's not like it can do any more damage. If you have a proper catch can setup, you shouldn't need any kind of check valve.

Third, use red loctite thread lock instead of nylon plumber tape for you oil sending setup. Oil is petroleum based and will eat right though that crap. Make sure you let it cure for a complete 24 hours before you drive it though. This is VERY important.

Once you get your leaks fixed, you should have good oil pressure. Good oil pressure + Proper Catch Can= Happily Boosted Car.

Okay after searching the web, I found out that ld25 is right. You remove the check valve and brether tube and both go to the catch can. From their it goes to a fresh air source. Both connection work the same on the valve coveronce boostet the one with the check valve can leak and tear up motor. This why my motor it seeing pressure the pvc valve can only take so much. An sense I have a catch can I don't need it. Also why I'm blowing the oil filter gasket and the sending unit is coming apart.

In other catch can works as a brether tube for the crank.

Recap if you have a catch can both tube from valve cover to the catch can, and one port from catch can to fresh air source( I.e. a filter or preturbo intake tube)

This for my setup

Last edited:
Okay after searching the web, I found out that ld25 is right. You remove the check valve and brether tube and both go to the catch can. From their it goes to a fresh air source. Both connection work the same on the valve coveronce boostet the one with the check valve can leak and tear up motor. This why my motor it seeing pressure the pvc valve can only take so much. An sense I have a catch can I don't need it. Also why I'm blowing the oil filter gasket and the sending unit is coming apart.

In other catch can works as a brether tube for the crank.

Recap if you have a catch can both tube from valve cover to the catch can, and one port from catch can to fresh air source( I.e. a filter or preturbo intake tube)

I'm a proponent of vacuum crankcase evacuation. You can use a catch can if you want, but leave the PCV system basically intact. If your crankcase is being pressurized, replace the PCV/check valve.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back