The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Crank Pulley turned counter clockwise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttheduck

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2004
detroit, Michigan
I know you're not supposed to turn the crank pulley counterclockwise as it can throw of timing somehow (still haven't figured that out). If it turned CCW slightly (10-15 degrees tops) when the bar I was using to hold it in place slipped a little, does that matter? Any risk of damage because of movement that minor? Thanks.

BTW, I was just replacing the pulley and the timing belt was on of course.

cuttheduck said:
I know you're not supposed to turn the crank pulley counterclockwise as it can throw of timing somehow (still haven't figured that out). If it turned CCW slightly (10-15 degrees tops) when the bar I was using to hold it in place slipped a little, does that matter? Any risk of damage because of movement that minor? Thanks.

BTW, I was just replacing the pulley and the timing belt was on of course.
In the manual it says when setting your timing after a change, you need to turn the crank CCW 1/4 of a turn before makeing the 6 ravolutions to rechack timing. As long as you did not go past that 1/4 turn mark I dont see where you should have damage.
Mike

wolf20043 said:
In the manual it says when setting your timing after a change, you need to turn the crank CCW 1/4 of a turn before makeing the 6 ravolutions to rechack timing. As long as you did not go past that 1/4 turn mark I dont see where you should have damage.
Mike

Yah, I've seen that in the manual too with various opinions on it. Thanks for the info and opinion. I just get really anal when its not my car :)

Any other opinions on it?

cuttheduck said:
Yah, I've seen that in the manual too with various opinions on it. Thanks for the info and opinion. I just get really anal when its not my car :)

Any other opinions on it?
It sounds like you should be good, just try and make sure that the crank stays as stationary as possible and you are on your way. :thumb:
And do double check to make sure the timing marks are still lined up as well
Mike

Yep, checked and she started up beautifully. :thumb:

Like I said, I can be anal when it comes to cars. :D

Appreciate the response. :)

cuttheduck said:
Yep, checked and she started up beautifully. :thumb:

Like I said, I can be anal when it comes to cars. :D

Appreciate the response. :)
:thumb: . Any time Bro.
Mike

ive moved mine the wrong direction probably a half turn in order to get the balance shaft belt on. No ill effects that I have noticed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back