The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Crank pulley timing notch relative to TDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosting_laser

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2004
Whittier, California
I have a question regarding the above. Let me explain in further detail first:

I've installed the timing belt and lined up all the timing marks allready. Then I've installed the plastic cover. Here's where I get a bit confused. I then install the crank pulley and noticed the notch doesn't line up to the TDC line on the cover. Instead it's to the right of it (looking down from the drivers side fender).

If I'm not mistaking shouldn't the notch line up to the TDC mark?

Thanks in advance, Hugo

Step 1: verify you have engine at TDC using the long screwdriver in cylinder 1 method.

Step 2: Flip the crank sprocket timing plate around.

Step 3: redo your timing belt and be done with it.

Before you go ripping off the timing belt, check to make sure you lined up the dowel pin to the small hole in the crank pulley. Sometimes it can get lost when you pull everything apart.

When you take the crank pulley off, you should see a small metal rod in the crank sprocket. If its not there, line up all your timing belt marks (put the motor in #1 TDC), and bolt the pulley up so that the crank mark lines up with the T on the timing belt cover.

That little dowel just makes sure that you line it up no matter what.

Thanks for the replies. To answer:

#1 cylinder is @ TDC and the dowel pin is in place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the crank pulley, damper to be exact, made up of 2 separate pulleys (inner for A/C & outer for Alternator). If so, is it possible for the two to move causing the miss-alignment between TDC on the plastic cover and notch?

boosting_laser said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the crank pulley, damper to be exact, made up of 2 separate pulleys (inner for A/C & outer for Alternator). If so, is it possible for the two to move causing the miss-alignment between TDC on the plastic cover and notch?
You're barely wrong. However, the outer pulley belt surface is separate from the hub (the ac and alt surfaces are one piece), and when the rubber get old it slips. This is hamonic balancer failure, and I believe a search for it will cause the search engine to jump timing.
Stand by to replace the harmonic balancer.

Defiant said:
You're barely wrong. However, the outer pulley belt surface is separate from the hub (the ac and alt surfaces are one piece), and when the rubber get old it slips. This is hamonic balancer failure, and I believe a search for it will cause the search engine to jump timing.
Stand by to replace the harmonic balancer.

Ah yes, good ol' harmonic balancer failure. If I knew of such failures while searching I could of avoided tragedies such as search engines jumping timing. I thank thee for leading me onto the right path. :thumb:

Yea, that would have been my next guess. Its usually best to make sure that dowl pin is aligned first as that is cheaper than getting a new pulley.

I got one from the dealer for about $110, so its not too bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back