The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crank pulley split

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
So from what I've read, the crank pulley can actually split? As in the part that the belts wrap around seperates from the middle part that bolts on to the crank.
Was I reading that correctly?? Seems crazy to me

Well mine split, got lucky and thats all that happened. Did cause timing to jump and no bent valves. I guess though, that JB welding it back together is a stupid idea? Because isnt it a dampening pulley?

Are you talking about the harmonic balancer?

Are you talking about the harmonic dampener?

To the OP... Typically when they go out, it won't effect timing. Just get a new dampener and you're good to go. But don't get an aluminum one or solid one. They don't absorb crank vibrations and can cause the crank to break.

Yea he's talking about the harmonic balancer. Don't JB weld it. You got lucky this time, but why take the risk of it breaking and ruining your motor? That JB weld will end up costing you so much more in the future. A friend of mine bent all his valves, recently, because his pulley separated.

Go to napa and grab a new one and never worry about it again.

Are you talking about the harmonic dampener?

To the OP... Typically when they go out, it won't effect timing. Just get a new dampener and you're good to go. But don't get an aluminum one or solid one. They don't absorb crank vibrations and can cause the crank to break.

Really tit for tat buddy good job

Just seems crazy that they arent more sturdy. I never really noticed any signs of it going bad but I guess there really arent any? Other then maybe chirping or something but never had any of that happening.

And to Flash1970, the only reason I was thinking it would effect timing is if it got jamed up against wheel well and caused the timing to jump.

Ill just get a new/used one. Thanks fellas

They are sturdy, but rubber can't last forever. And bonded rubber dampers are far cheaper than a fluid based damper from production standpoint, so that's why Mitsu went that route.

If it's a relativily stock car, go with another bonded rubber damper and you'll be fine for another 10-15 years. If it's a performance application, go with soomething that has a solid shell and is tuned for more power and RPM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back