The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Crank pulley install...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt300ZXT

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2004
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I did look in the FAQ section, and on Vfaq and didn't find anything. Is the installation of a crank pulley (whether stock or an underdrive unit) all that difficult? There isn't any a/c or p/s on my car to really get in the way (only took about 5 minutes to install a new altrenator belt) so I'm curious, is it really hard to put one on if I already had one of those pulley pulling tools? Mine shakes a little while running, so I'm guessing the rubber balancer is finally giving up the ghost. Mach V says something about reusing a stock pulley because it has a dampener, unless you have a fully balanced motor. Mine supposedly has a Buschur Stage 3 bottom end (have receipt from p/o) and no balance shafts. Should I get an aftermarket pulley, or just go with a stocker?

That is the million dollar question. No matter which one you use, you just simply remove the four 12 mm bolts from around the center and pry/pop it off.

Anyone have any horror stories about using a non dampened pulley on a stock motor? Or on a modified motor?

Do I not have to jack the motor up or anything, or is it rather easy to get off right where the motor sits?

I don't know about the 1G, but on a 2G the driver's side wheel needs to be removed, splashguard unbolted, and the crank pulley would be revealed. Only the drivers side needs to be jacked up.

As for harmonic dampener... even if you had a race balanced crank, why not take an extra safety precaution? The performance gains from a lightened pulley really aren't worth a fubared engine.

I just did this for a friend on his 92 last week and really all you have to do is jack it up,remove the wheel,loosen the belt tension and take the four bolts out.The center crank pulley bolt does not have to come out,do not waste 2 hours trying like I did...just tap the face of the pulley with a hammer at 12,6,9,3 o'clock positions and it should come right off.

Then you just put your alternator belt back on,tension it,put your wheel back on and lower the car.

Galaxy said:
I just did this for a friend on his 92 last week and really all you have to do is jack it up,remove the wheel,loosen the belt tension and take the four bolts out.The center crank pulley bolt does not have to come out,do not waste 2 hours trying like I did...just tap the face of the pulley with a hammer at 12,6,9,3 o'clock positions and it should come right off.

Then you just put your alternator belt back on,tension it,put your wheel back on and lower the car.

That about covers it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back