1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Crank no start

Posted by Gabriel noir, Dec 10, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Gabriel noir

Gabriel noir Probationary Member

Joined Dec 10, 2019
    Thornton, Colorado
    I’m new to Mitsubishi’s and I got a 97 2.4l 2g last week it would always need a jump or else it would die after turning off so I got a new battery and it’s been running fine.
    The heater didn’t work so I changed the thermostat and broke a bolt and the car was sitting for 2-3 days without being started and I finally drilled out the bolt and refilled it with the coolant I had to drain out and I started it and the rpms were super low and it was running rough and then it died now it only cranks but won’t start and it smells like gasoline, I also hammered off the coolant temp sensor on accident and I was wondering if that could be the reason it only cranks and won’t start it’s also cold outside

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Yep, no coolant sensor equals no start, replace the sensor, replace the spark plugs and rock on.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Gabriel noir

Gabriel noir Probationary Member

Joined Dec 10, 2019
    Thornton, Colorado
    + update + I got a new coolant temp sensor and it started thank you